Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibration making me crazy!!!!help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 2.4l
Default Vibration making me crazy!!!!help please

I have been trying to diagnose the problem but still cannot find the solution. The car is pulling to the right bad(even after tire rotation and balance), vibration at speeds from 55-60 that shakes the steering wheel and makes a intermittent moaning noise like a tire rubbing.

Thought it might be a bad bearing so did the old 6 and 12 oclock pull test and they did not budge.....Also was informed by Discount that a bad bearing would not cause a pull.

Took the tires to Discount and they informend me that 2 rims were bent and out of round but balanced them anyway but they could not see why the pulling was happening?. They put the two bad rims in the rear, but still am having the vibration and noises from the front.

Now I know that I could be getting the vibration from the bent rims, but could there be anything else obvious causing the pulling, vibration, and noises than a bad alignment?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Year: 1990 Limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6cyl
Default Death wobble

give that a search.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 5502george
Took the tires to Discount and they informend me that 2 rims were bent and out of round but balanced them anyway but they could not see why the pulling was happening?. They put the two bad rims in the rear, but still am having the vibration and noises from the front.
I don't see how bent rims could ever ride well, even if someone tried to balance them. Whatever the case, if mine were pulling hard then I'd check both the alignment as well as the brakes. Sometimes one caliper will wear out and the piston won't seat back in the bore, which will cause it to drag (happened on a Mustang I used to own, gradually pulled harder and harder to the right). You need to tell us more about your vehicle and it's current set-up.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Discount tire must have a bunch of idiots working for them. A bad bearing will cause your front to pull to one side. I just had the same issue and it ended up being partially bearing related. I would check everything, control arm bushings, track bar, ball joints (jack up the wheel and pry it up with a bar while someone watches for movement), tie-rods, axle shaft u-joints. I would deffinitely start by finding some rims that aren't bent, Discount tire should have told you that. Second I wouldn't go to discount tire anymore.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Balancing is a weight thing, ovalized and bent rims/tires cannot be fixed with balancing.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Year: 2000

had a similar issues at higher speeds do to a sticky break caliber. You may have the same issue
Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

i've got 2 stock rims maybe we could work something out
Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

while its good and hot.. and vibrating.. pull over jack up and spin tires.. hard or easy ?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 5502george
I have been trying to diagnose the problem but still cannot find the solution. The car is pulling to the right bad(even after tire rotation and balance), vibration at speeds from 55-60 that shakes the steering wheel and makes a intermittent moaning noise like a tire rubbing.

Thought it might be a bad bearing so did the old 6 and 12 oclock pull test and they did not budge.....Also was informed by Discount that a bad bearing would not cause a pull.

Now I know that I could be getting the vibration from the bent rims, but could there be anything else obvious causing the pulling, vibration, and noises than a bad alignment?
Is this an XJ, is it lifted?
Check your alignment, yourself. http://go.jeep-xj.info/
replace the bent wheels.
Sticking or bent brake caliper can cause the pull.