Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vent selection valve under load

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vent selection valve under load

Im sure the fix for my problem is listed somewhere in here but I cant seem to find it.. Ive seen mention of it elsewhere but no fix listed. I am having an evident vacuum leak or switch malfunction when the engine is under load, going uphill or acceleration, it goes into defrost regardless of previous setting. I have traced all vac lines underhood up to the firewall and have found no leaks with either visual inspection or carb spray. There may be a possible EGR boost valve problem unless it is supposed to run for extended amounts of time but I dont get a Vac leak code. Ive checked the vac valve just upstream of EGR Sol and it functions as it is supposed to. Ive plugged a vac meter into the system and it hovers just shy of normal under idle but regains fine at 1k rpm. Once again I havent found any vac leaks under hood but havent dug into the dash other than at the control valve. BTW its a 99 Jeep cherokee sport 4.0..
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion66772
Im sure the fix for my problem is listed somewhere in here but I cant seem to find it.. Ive seen mention of it elsewhere but no fix listed. I am having an evident vacuum leak or switch malfunction when the engine is under load, going uphill or acceleration, it goes into defrost regardless of previous setting. I have traced all vac lines underhood up to the firewall and have found no leaks with either visual inspection or carb spray. There may be a possible EGR boost valve problem unless it is supposed to run for extended amounts of time but I dont get a Vac leak code. Ive checked the vac valve just upstream of EGR Sol and it functions as it is supposed to. Ive plugged a vac meter into the system and it hovers just shy of normal under idle but regains fine at 1k rpm. Once again I havent found any vac leaks under hood but havent dug into the dash other than at the control valve. BTW its a 99 Jeep cherokee sport 4.0..
EGR boost valve? EGR Sol? 1999 Jeep Cherokee, XJ body, doesn't have an EGR system.

Unless you connect a hand operated vacuum pump to the vacuum source tube at the intake manifold and pump the system down, you may be missing something.

Two common problem areas are a disconnect at the vacuum reservoir and a break/chafe in the tube behind the battery. Check these closely.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Have you checked the plethora of emissions lines under the Jeep?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Ive checked behind the batt and RnR the line to the Vac res and the res itself is in good shape. EGR boost, Im referring to the Pump that checks the vac-egr system before it goes to the vapor recovery canister under the vehicle.. Other than rusted the undervehicle lines seem to be in working order.. I even plugged them to see if it increased my vac pressure to no avail... Manual vacuum seems to be the next tool I need to buy.. unless there is a possibility of the selector valve being damaged.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Cracked reservoir in the bumper can also cause this. Take the passenger side front bumper cap off and you'll find it.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by scorpion66772
Ive checked behind the batt and RnR the line to the Vac res and the res itself is in good shape. EGR boost, Im referring to the Pump that checks the vac-egr system before it goes to the vapor recovery canister under the vehicle.. Other than rusted the undervehicle lines seem to be in working order.. I even plugged them to see if it increased my vac pressure to no avail... Manual vacuum seems to be the next tool I need to buy.. unless there is a possibility of the selector valve being damaged.
Here's the layout of the HVAC/Cruise Control vacuum system in the engine bay.

Name:  jpgrev194_96VacuumSystem.jpg
Views: 4861
Size:  145.3 KB

Here's a photo of the vacuum hand pump I use to check vacuum systems. Got it from Harbor Freight for around $27.00. It's a brake bleeder pump. Shown, is the pump hooked up to the vacuum source at the intake manifold. You can pump the system down to around 17-20 In./Hg. and see if it holds. If it does there's no leaks.

Name:  VacuumSystemTest.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  168.8 KB

But if you look at the vacuum system layout you'll see two check valves. The check valve at the manifold is supposed to trap vacuum in the system when there is a vacuum loss when the engine is under load. The vacuum reservoir is there to tempoarily provide vacuum to the system. The HVAC check valve is supposed to trap vacuum in the HVAC control system in the event the manifold check valve fails or the reservoir is depleted. There is a possibility that both check vavles have failed if you lose HVAC control.

Check valve at manifold:

Name:  jpgVacuumconnectionsatintake.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  127.7 KB

HVAC check valve:

Name:  jpgHVACCheckValve.jpg
Views: 4488
Size:  82.6 KB

The check valves can be checked. Remove the valve and blow into it in both directions. There should be free flow one way but not the other. If there's flow both ways the diaphragm is ruptured and the valve should be replaced.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Here's the layout of the HVAC/Cruise Control vacuum system in the engine bay.

Here's a photo of the vacuum hand pump I use to check vacuum systems. Got it from Harbor Freight for around $27.00. It's a brake bleeder pump. Shown, is the pump hooked up to the vacuum source at the intake manifold. You can pump the system down to around 17-20 In./Hg. and see if it holds. If it does there's no leaks.

But if you look at the vacuum system layout you'll see two check valves. The check valve at the manifold is supposed to trap vacuum in the system when there is a vacuum loss when the engine is under load. The vacuum reservoir is there to tempoarily provide vacuum to the system. The HVAC check valve is supposed to trap vacuum in the HVAC control system in the event the manifold check valve fails or the reservoir is depleted. There is a possibility that both check vavles have failed if you lose HVAC control.

Check valve at manifold:

HVAC check valve:

The check valves can be checked. Remove the valve and blow into it in both directions. There should be free flow one way but not the other. If there's flow both ways the diaphragm is ruptured and the valve should be replaced.
Great info! I'll have to check the valves when I get home. Mine does this as well.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
Great info! I'll have to check the valves when I get home. Mine does this as well.
I should have mentioned it in my previous post; check that 3MM tube going from the HVAC check valve to the firewall for chafing, or being broken. I've read several posts that this tube was found broken.

If it is chafed or broken, a rubber tube splice can be slipped over the chafed/broken tube. I saw 2.8 MM ID rubber tubing at O'Reilly auto parts that can be used for this repair.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM

I should have mentioned it in my previous post; check that 3MM tube going from the HVAC check valve to the firewall for chafing, or being broken. I've read several posts that this tube was found broken.

If it is chafed or broken, a rubber tube splice can be slipped over the chafed/broken tube. I saw 2.8 MM ID rubber tubing at O'Reilly auto parts that can be used for this repair.
I've visually checked all the lines in the engine compartment. I don't have a vacuum pump. I need to get one.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have the same issue. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:26 AM

Alright, I guess I'm going to have to go buy a vacuum gauge.

Checked the check valves. They're good. All the lines appear to be in good shape and working.

Still stumped.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:30 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The Mighty Vac is a good one and it's also a one-man brake bleeder.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Been sick and someone stabbed all 4 tires on my Jeep so I havent been doing much. I have checked all the items mentioned so I too am looking at the vac. Mighty Vac seems like a good tool to have in the inventory. Will advise. Thanks for the info I hope it is helpful to many.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:12 PM

Hi all,

I am having a similar problem. I know that the 3mm tubing from the firewall to the check valve is cracked on my Jeep. Unfortunately its right at the connector to the check valve. Does anyone know the part number for the hosing? Im new to Jeep work and i want to replace the front half of the hosing with the connector but the Napa guy needs a part no.

Please help?
Old 12-07-2015, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Here's a pic of that broken tube and a fix using rubber vacuum hose from O' Reilly Auto Parts. Note that this XJ doesn't have an HVAC check valve.

Name:  HVACTubeBroken.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  305.3 KB

Name:  HVACTubeFix.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  282.2 KB

Last edited by CCKen; 12-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Vent selection valve under load