Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

using existing retainer holes to re install fenders without using retainers

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Question using existing retainer holes to re install fenders without using retainers

hi guys//gals,

i just removed my fender flares off of my 4 door, 2000 jeep cherokee classic then removed those flimsy retainers and threw them in the garbage.... i want to install my oem fender without using retainers...

can i use the existing holes for those retainers and just drill my oem fender flares or do i need to drill new holes?

p.s: if i didn't post in the proper section, please move my post in the proper section

thank you
Mickey
Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

you may find yourself needing different harware to reattach the flares. a washer or two possibly? im curious, though~ why did you remove them, scrap the hardware, then want to reattach em? im not dissin, just wondering what your up to. us jeep owners tend to work in mysterious ways on occasion either way, i do like the pulled fender look. trimming is super easy at this point too. the fronts are thin enough and with no pinch weld/seam to get in the way of generous trimming, the rear needs a little extra caution as the pinch is not far from trimming. best bet is to make (aprox.) 1/2-1" tall cuts about 1/4-1/2 inch away from each other then just fold the little flaps into the well.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
you may find yourself needing different harware to reattach the flares. a washer or two possibly? im curious, though~ why did you remove them, scrap the hardware, then want to reattach em? im not dissin, just wondering what your up to. us jeep owners tend to work in mysterious ways on occasion either way, i do like the pulled fender look. trimming is super easy at this point too. the fronts are thin enough and with no pinch weld/seam to get in the way of generous trimming, the rear needs a little extra caution as the pinch is not far from trimming. best bet is to make (aprox.) 1/2-1" tall cuts about 1/4-1/2 inch away from each other then just fold the little flaps into the well.
i removed all 4 fender flares to paint them with bedliner... once i had removed them, the retainers were all rusted and almost falling... so i just decided to remove the retainers, sand and prime the fenders and por15 them.... so now just in the process of reinstalling the fender flares since all my fenders are all somewhat rust free with por15.... the price in living in Canada with those snow covered roads and salt

yeah us jeep owners tend to do mysterious things... ahaha

that was my plan as i read on other forums that they all ditched those flimsy retainers and just reattached them using bolts, nuts and washers....

Thank you

Last edited by mickey1973; 10-23-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What part of ontario are you from Mickey? I have some retainers that are broken but can be repaired with new bolts if you want them.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie57
What part of ontario are you from Mickey? I have some retainers that are broken but can be repaired with new bolts if you want them.
I am in New Brunswick....

retainers for a 2000?
how many do you have?

how much would u sell them?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey1973
I am in New Brunswick....

retainers for a 2000?
how many do you have?

how much would u sell them?
Funny your avatar said Ontario yesterday.
Got 3 I think. most of the bolts are broken so I was going to give them to you. You could drill out the broken bolts and replace them.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jamie57
Funny your avatar said Ontario yesterday.
Got 3 I think. most of the bolts are broken so I was going to give them to you. You could drill out the broken bolts and replace them.
yeah changed it to the proper location yesterday when you said ontario.... funny

do your retainers come in 2 pieces per wheel well?

thats actually how many i need... well i need the retainers for the 2 back wheels and the 2 pieces for the front passenger side...

yes those bolts are easily broken when trying to remove them

my address is

Jean-Luc Hebert
97 rue laplante ouest
Petit-Rocher, New Brunswick
E8J 1T5
Canada

i believe if you send them using regular mail... they will not charge for shipping

if they do, that s ok... thank you

Last edited by mickey1973; 10-24-2011 at 10:39 AM.