Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Upgrades but need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Upgrades but need help

Greetings fellow Jeepers!

First time threader but long time reader. Tried to find my answer with the search function but nothing suits my question.

I bought my first Jeep about a year ago, it's a 1990 XJ with about 180,000 km on it. Good condition, some rust but everything WAS working.
A year later, there's some stuff to atend!

I've been searching in a Swedish Jeep forum for this, but I might be the first one to try it, or no one has written about it.
I want to swap my power mirrors for some newer ones, is it -97+ that fits bolt on?
Last night in the garage, I tried to take the mirrors off the car, well couldn't even do that. I did get it to hang in the wires, but I couldn't find and sort of connecter or the like, where is it?
Also, I've noticed on the junkyard websites that there are some mirrors with 3-pins or 6-pins and yada yada. Anyone one off their head what I have and what I need to purchase? It is just power mirrors, no defrost.

The overhead console in the ceiling, what exact XJ-years will fit bolt on? My backseat lights are not working (and what a poor construction that is! Just plastic crap!).

The lightbulb for the trunk? Noticed that I didn't have one, what kind of bulb do I need?

I think this is it for now, time for coffee here at work, almost 9 am and it's still black as night outside!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:24 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

The only thing I can anwer on this about is your light bulb. It should be the exact same as the front one. They are wierd, but if you take one into the shop, you should find a match. I have an 88 and am going of that, but they should still be the same.

An assumption to your power mirrors would be that maybe it is further in, or withing the mirror itself. I don't know, but it isn't just hardwired in. It is wierd though, that you cant see it. They shouldn't be hidden unless the PO did something to it, like idk, saitering at the point to some long a$$ wires that were spliced in. Keep uas informed, and I hope someone responds with some knowledge on it, and Good Luck.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim
The only thing I can anwer on this about is your light bulb. It should be the exact same as the front one. They are wierd, but if you take one into the shop, you should find a match. I have an 88 and am going of that, but they should still be the same.

An assumption to your power mirrors would be that maybe it is further in, or withing the mirror itself. I don't know, but it isn't just hardwired in. It is wierd though, that you cant see it. They shouldn't be hidden unless the PO did something to it, like idk, saitering at the point to some long a$$ wires that were spliced in. Keep uas informed, and I hope someone responds with some knowledge on it, and Good Luck.
Hey, thanks for the quick response!
Gonna try and figure out the lightbulb situation. Didn't see any bulbs in the front when I had it all apart last night, but gonna take a closer look.

Hopefully the connector for the mirrors is in there somewhere, thought it would be right there.
Going by a Jeep brother tonight, maybe we'll take a look at it, we'll see.