Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Upgraded Headlights. Help with wiring problems..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Upgraded Headlights. Help with wiring problems..

I have a 97 cherokee sport, 4x4, 4.0L, 5speed. The P/O did a headlight upgrade to HID's he said, when they work right the are great but I have had nothing but problem with the lights for the last 2 weeks. They have killed my battery. They are wired straight off of battery power at the terminal on the fuse box. 2 power wires go from the fuse box to 2 relays each relay has 5 pins(power, ground, left light, right light, the fifth wire I don't know what it goes to but runs up to behind the right lamp assy.) The mystery wire one the high beam relay is blue and on the dim is yellow. There is also a ground wire from each lamp assy that is grounded on the NEG terminal on the battery.

My first problem was the high beams would always be on and not shut off, so I disconnected the power wire at the terminal @ the fuse box. So the high beams were off I figured that I had a temp fix until the weather is a little nicer and I could find someone who is a little better with electricity than I am to help me fix it right.

Well I put a good slow charge on my battery that day and thought I was good to go, well I was wrong. For two days it ran fine, the next morning the battery was dead, so back on the charger it went. Trickled charged it back up and went to give it a try, and it wouldn't fire. It would crank and crank but not start, so I put my foot on the gas while cranking and it started. As soon as I took my foot off the gas it would die and not start back up unless I was pushing on the gas and it would die if I took my foot off the pedal. I had an extra battery in the garage the I knew was good and put it in as temp. it was a physically bigger battery, but had the same CA and CCA. Once hooked up the jeep started and ran as normal. I took the old battery down to the parts store to have it load tested and it failed, but still would hold a charge. Since I was short on $$ that day I went back to the house and modded the battery tray so I could strap the spare battery in and get the hood latched.

I figured between the 7 year old battery and probably a bad relay that those were my problems. I was wrong again, I modded the tray tuesday night, the jeep ran fine wednesday and thursday, and yesterday morning when I went to go to work the battery was almost dead. It didn't have enough to get it started. Put the charger on and an had my wife watch it through out the morning and it was charged in a couple hours. When I came home for lunch it started up just fine so I put it in the garage. After work I went and got 2 new relays and a new battery.

Can anyone help me out? I'm going out to take the light assembly apart to figure out where the two mystery wires from the relay's tie into. I also found a diagram of the relay that I will post as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 PM

This should be the the diagram of the relay if the picture shows.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 PM

The mystery wires go into a factory plug behind the right lamp assembly. The wires going from the plug back into the factory harness are Red with an orange stripe, Black, and Purple with a red stripe.
Attached Thumbnails Upgraded Headlights.  Help with wiring problems..-97jeepheadlights-003.jpg   Upgraded Headlights.  Help with wiring problems..-97jeepheadlights-002.jpg   Upgraded Headlights.  Help with wiring problems..-97jeepheadlights-001.jpg