Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Unperformed Recall on 96, still valid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Unperformed Recall on 96, still valid?

So, I just found this: http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/pdf/E22.pdf (PDF) and it says:
DaimlerChrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your
dealer will reprogram your vehicle s Powertrain Control Module. The work will take about an
hour to complete. However additional time may be necessary depending on how dealer
appointments are scheduled and processed. Your dealer will also inspect your vehicle’s catalytic
converter. If the catalyst is found to be "rattling" or loose, the dealer will replace it free of charge
(parts and labor).
NOTE: This recall does not include the replacement of other exhaust system components. If other
exhaust system components require replacement, the associated repair costs are your
responsibility.
Your catalytic converter warranty period will be: (A) eight years or 80,000 miles from the
vehicle’s original in-service date; or (B) twelvemonths or 12,000 miles from the date your recall
service is performed, whichever of (A) or (B) is later.
So my question is, does that mean I still get to have all of this done for free? The cat is rattling as mentioned in the text of the recall, I just thought that was due to age! Obviously I will call the dealer, and the worst they can say is "NO" on replacing the converter. Just wondering if anyone else has done this recently and got their catalytic converter replaced.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

They should replace it for free. Take it on in and show them. They'll look up your VIN and see that it applies to your XJ.

I heard about this recall (and that is applied to my XJ too) a week after i spent a couple hundred dollars on getting it replaced. So angry
Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by omfgzorz
Just wondering if anyone else has done this recently and got their catalytic converter replaced.
Yes. I have a '96 that had the cat replaced under the recall. All they'll do is smack it with their fist- if it rattles internally it's bad.
They'll only do it once unless the second one also fails within 12/12, but the one freebie is still available to you if it hasn't been done yet. My replacement cat failed too, same rattle. Out of warranty of course. Put on a cheapie high-flow at that point and it's been good since.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by omfgzorz
So, I just found this: http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/pdf/E22.pdf (PDF) and it says:

So my question is, does that mean I still get to have all of this done for free? The cat is rattling as mentioned in the text of the recall, I just thought that was due to age! Obviously I will call the dealer, and the worst they can say is "NO" on replacing the converter. Just wondering if anyone else has done this recently and got their catalytic converter replaced.
Go to the dealer. Have them run your VIN to see if the recall has been done. Go from there.