Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Uneven Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Uneven Tire Wear

Hey everyone, was hoping someone could give me some ideas as to what I should do to fix this issue I have. It seems the front tires are leaning in slightly from the looks of the wear of my tire tread. Also, I get slight vibrations when driving at highway speeds.
As soon as I get a nice weekend I'm going to jack up the front and check to see if there's any wobble in any direction. Last year I replaced the wheel bearings, so those should be good and I'm not sure they'd be the cause of the problem anyhow but I'm not sure.

As you can see I need new tires like now but I'd like to fix the lean first.
Uneven Tire Wear-tread.jpg

Would those joints be the most likely thing to replace? I forget the name of them. There's not too much going on in there that I can imagine would need replacing.
Uneven Tire Wear-joints.jpg

I know there's more steps I can take to diagnose the problem but until I can do those, I was just hoping to get some ideas thrown at me to get a better idea of what the problem might be. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

That would be the problem I'm having recently. It's off camber, but there's no such thing as camber adjustment on a solid axle.

Based on what I've found, it's probably either bad ball joints (which is what you have circled) or a bent axle.

I'm hoping it's that mine is on the original 18 year old ball joints.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

That is more than likely toe wear. Any alignment shop can fix this for you, or you can do it yourself with a tape measure if you are comfortable.

Those are ball joints you circled BTW. You can also check these by jacking up the front axle, supporting it on jack stands and prying up on the bottom of the tire with a pry bar. You can't try to move the tire like you can looking for worn wheel bearings, it needs the pry bar. It is normal for the top joint to have vertical play, by design it does that. The bottom joint is the load bearing one.

The bottom joint should not have more than 0.050" of axial play if you have a dial indicator you can attach and measure. The top joint should not have more than 0.060" of radial play.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by kstopp
That is more than likely toe wear. Any alignment shop can fix this for you, or you can do it yourself with a tape measure if you are comfortable.

Those are ball joints you circled BTW. You can also check these by jacking up the front axle, supporting it on jack stands and prying up on the bottom of the tire with a pry bar. You can't try to move the tire like you can looking for worn wheel bearings, it needs the pry bar. It is normal for the top joint to have vertical play, by design it does that. The bottom joint is the load bearing one.

The bottom joint should not have more than 0.050" of axial play if you have a dial indicator you can attach and measure. The top joint should not have more than 0.060" of radial play.

Excellent post.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by wizardpc
That would be the problem I'm having recently. It's off camber, but there's no such thing as camber adjustment on a solid axle.

Based on what I've found, it's probably either bad ball joints (which is what you have circled) or a bent axle.

I'm hoping it's that mine is on the original 18 year old ball joints.
Camber and ball joints. I only remember the names of things I've had t replace so far haha. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by kstopp

Toe wear. I'll have to look into that. I don't have a dial indicator so I can't measure the play but maybe I'll get one. No idea yet but I'll try adjusting the for the toe wear and see if that seems like it helps things. Thanks!

Originally Posted by roninofako
Excellent post.
I agree.

Sorry for the late reply guys. Got laid off and kinda forgot about this for awhile. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

It looks toed out and over inflated. Does it run all over the road ?

adjust drag link until it's toed in a degree or two.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994

Toe out will wear the inside of the tire.
You must check the entire front end first as suggested,then check your alignment.
Let us know.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Alex, I'll take toe-in for 1000. We don't get to, or normally need to adjust caster or camber.
Toe-in on the other hand needs to be set about anytime anything in the steering is changed. Yours is not right. "feathering" you can feel by gently feeling the tread with your fingers.

I would jack the front end, then look for play anywhere, TRE (Tie rod End) go often and first. With the "sloppy" removed, (maybe wheel bearings or TRE), 1/8 inch toe in, Measured at the tire tread will work. You measure after forward movement, on a flat surface. 1/8 in is MAX for a stock tire. With a larger tire/wheel, the "lesser degree" should be fine. It's just to give a slight pressure on the linkage to not have it wobble. Too much does what you have. (to much toe-out will eat the tires also)

Shops often will check it free, and tell you what's worn out.