Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turn signal indicators won't light up

Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Turn signal indicators won't light up

Hi, I have a Jeep Cherokee from 1990. My problem is that the turn signal indicators in the dash won't light up when I turn my turn signal on. It's not a big problem really, but it would be nice to get them to work. Also the switch on the steering column only "pops" out of the on position when I turn right, if I turn on the left side blinkers i have to turn them off manually. Any idea what could be causing that?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Borgli
Hi, I have a Jeep Cherokee from 1990. My problem is that the turn signal indicators in the dash won't light up when I turn my turn signal on. It's not a big problem really, but it would be nice to get them to work. Also the switch on the steering column only "pops" out of the on position when I turn right, if I turn on the left side blinkers i have to turn them off manually. Any idea what could be causing that?
I'd guess both problems have the same solution. The turn signal lever moves a switch assembly inside the column. Sounds like yours is broken.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Yeah, that might be what's causing it. The only problem then is that it worked with my other instrument panel. I did an engine swap and had to change out the panel as well because of different speedo conections. Could it be as simple as just two bad light bulbs?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Yeah, that might be what's causing it. The only problem then is that it worked with my other instrument panel. I did an engine swap and had to change out the panel as well because of different speedo conections. Could it be as simple as just two bad light bulbs?
May be. Do the outside lights blink as normal? If they do, do you hear any click click or dink dink or whatever noise your signals make while they blink? Then i'd suspect the indicator light bulbs themselves.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kjc
May be. Do the outside lights blink as normal? If they do, do you hear any click click or dink dink or whatever noise your signals make while they blink? Then i'd suspect the indicator light bulbs themselves.
Yes, the all work properly. I hear a click click. How to I replace the bulbs? Just unscrew the panel and pop them out?
Thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Yes, the all work properly. I hear a click click. How to I replace the bulbs? Just unscrew the panel and pop them out?
Thanks
That'd be my guess, but i've never had one out
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I was having the same issue with my signal (right turn, in my case) not canceling and while disassembling the steering hub to tighten my tilt mechanism I discovered a spring had fallen out... Here is the thread...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/omg...-works-115662/

...and here's the spring

It's been working fine ever since I put the spring back where it goes.

It could just be the bulbs, yes. Or, it could be that the harness isn't quite all the way in on the back of the cluster. The bulbs (type 194) are in twist-lock bases, once you have the cluster out they're easy to check and replace. Hope that helps.

Last edited by F1Addict; 01-17-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Year: 88-87

Originally Posted by kjc
That'd be my guess, but i've never had one out
yes they kind of screw in and out quarter turn with safety notches that are A gripe
Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the input, I will check the bulbs before moving on to the disassembly of the steering column. Does anyone have a how-to in that?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 AM

The bulbs are all fine. So I guess there is an issue somewhere else, no power is reaching the indicator bulbs. I decided to wait until summer for the steering column disassembly after reading that the steering wheel often is very hard to get of.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

One very easy solution could be the relay. It's a gray block directly below the headlight switch. Just pull the panel below the steering wheel and you can easily get to it. This may not be the overall issue, but it could be a contributing factor.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Thanks for the input, I will check the bulbs before moving on to the disassembly of the steering column. Does anyone have a how-to in that?
if the out side lights are blinking dont see the need to tear colum apart
Old 01-22-2012, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

worked with other cluster
Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM

Year: 88-87

The bulbs are all fine. So I guess there is an issue somewhere else, no power is reaching the indicator bulbs. I decided to wait until summer for the steering column disassembly after reading that the steering wheel often is very hard to get of.
simply requires holding your mouth right & A steering wheel puller that I rent from autozone for 15.00