Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turn the key, nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Turn the key, nothing happens

Hi, I have been having this intermittent issue for the last few weeks and am trying to figure out what in the heck is going on here. Basically, I put the key in the ignition and all the dash lights come on, everything works fine and when I turn the key to start it, nothing. The dome light dims, the dash lights and stereo turn off and it doesn't turn over. the first time I thought I must have drained the battery so I had a friend jump it and it started right up. Didn't think anything of it and it started and ran just fine for the next few weeks. Then, a couple of days ago it happened again, so at this point I'm thinking something is wrong. I called a friend to come help me jump it a few hours later. When he got there, just for fun I tried to start it and it started without me even hooking up the jumper cables. Then it happened again last night and so far I haven't been able to get it started even with hooking up jumper cables. I don't really have time to mess with it tonight, but I am hoping to get her up and running tomorrow. Any advice on possible culprits? I am thinking either battery, battery connection (though that seems sound and there really doesn't seem to be any corrosion) or starter. I'm no expert so the more detail I can get the better. I am actually excited to finally be able to get my hands dirty with her.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Depending on the year there is a cast metal piece that connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch. These have a tendency to break and cause a condition just like you describe.
If yours has the ignition switch on the left side, pull the switch and look for broken pieces.
Rebuild kits are available if that is what is wrong.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

NSS? (Neutral Safety Switch) Or would nothing work if that was bad?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 PM

Year: 1997

My small brain forces me to look at the simple things first.

Check the end of the positive battery cable where it attaches to the starter (solonoid).

Go from there.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 97

i would also check the terminals. if it happens again, put the trans in neutral and try starting it while moving the shifter around. if it starts, you need to clean or replace your nss.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

this happened to me a few months ago, after calling someone to jump me, it started. I cleaned the posts and clamps and tightened the hell out of them and havent had a problem since
Old 06-24-2012, 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses. These forums blow me away with how helpful everyone is. I am in the process of trying to test the trigger wire that goes in to the starter to see if it is getting the proper voltage, but I can't get the wire out of the plug in the starter. Is there a trick to it or do I just yank it out? I didn't want to put too much pressure on it and risk breaking something but it doesn't seem to want to give.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by CrawlnCoupe
i would also check the terminals. if it happens again, put the trans in neutral and try starting it while moving the shifter around. if it starts, you need to clean or replace your nss.
Not sure about the wire but try this ^^^^^^ Very common. The remote wire on the starter not getting power while possible is far less common.