Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trying to find my tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Trying to find my tranny issue

So i got some feedback on my tranny issue. this is what iv got so far...my tranny has an issue where i come to a complete stop as i push the gas to go it just revs like its in neutral after 5-10 seconds or pushing the gas pedal a few times it goes into gear and drives. it was suggested to me to start off in 1-2 and see if the problem occurs there....it does. however, this issue does not happen i could drive and stop 5 times no problem then it will do it every time i stop so on and so fourth...i replaced the filter and changed fluid, i have a tranny cooler that bypassed the rad. and the tranny is not leaking, the color is normal with no smell...could it be the TPS, TCU? i also found this article, link below, where someone had the same exact issue and they disconnected the speed sensor, pulled out the cable and saw a square rod, they moved it back and fourth got a bunch of gunk and dirt out...put it back together and it runs fine...any advice would be great!

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/jee...2BLHU4KTL4AJQV
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try changing the VSS. Its on the LH side of the tailhousing and is retained by a single bolt. It has a 3 lead electrical connector on it.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuse for the TCU is in the power distribution box under the hood. It should be a 10 amp mini. If you can't locate it (don't have an owner's manual?) unplug the TCU. Its under the dash trim below the glove box. Either of these will put you into full manual mode, so 1-2 will get 1st until 4500rpm, 3 will get 3, D will get 4th (OD) and R will get R. If you still have trouble with R or 1-2 in this mode, its definitely internal to the trans.