Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Troubleshooting Power Door Locks in a 97+

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Troubleshooting Power Door Locks in a 97+

As per the title, my power door locks are all dead. None of the switches will toggle any of the locks.

I checked my fuses in the passenger footwell, and all of the power lock fuses look good. The switch at the driver's door even illuminates. All of my engine grounds are good as well.

What am i missing? I've read that the master switch goes bad often. I tried opening it today, but couldn't get it to pop open in order to clean it.

If the master switch is bad, will it disable ALL of the power door lock switches? All of the other switches in the master switch pod work just fine.

I've also read that some of the wiring in the driver's door tears. Would bad wiring in the driver's door be able to disable the power locks in all of the other doors?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by gottarollwithit
As per the title, my power door locks are all dead. None of the switches will toggle any of the locks.

I checked my fuses in the passenger footwell, and all of the power lock fuses look good. The switch at the driver's door even illuminates. All of my engine grounds are good as well.

What am i missing? I've read that the master switch goes bad often. I tried opening it today, but couldn't get it to pop open in order to clean it.

If the master switch is bad, will it disable ALL of the power door lock switches? All of the other switches in the master switch pod work just fine.

I've also read that some of the wiring in the driver's door tears. Would bad wiring in the driver's door be able to disable the power locks in all of the other doors?
Does the front passenger door lock switch work?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM

Well, it gets weirder. I swapped in another driver's master switch and the locks still don't work. The lock switch on the passenger door does not control any locks, however when depressing it only in one direction, it turns on some kinda motor sound in the rear driver's side door and in the trunk hatch. I'd assume it's the lock actuators being turned on, opposed to being flicked open/closed. Doesn't actually unlock or lock anything though.

Any thoughts?? Not really sure where to go from here. I can only assume this is caused by bad wiring inside of the doors.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by gottarollwithit
Well, it gets weirder. I swapped in another driver's master switch and the locks still don't work. The lock switch on the passenger door does not control any locks, however when depressing it only in one direction, it turns on some kinda motor sound in the rear driver's side door and in the trunk hatch. I'd assume it's the lock actuators being turned on, opposed to being flicked open/closed. Doesn't actually unlock or lock anything though.

Any thoughts?? Not really sure where to go from here. I can only assume this is caused by bad wiring inside of the doors.
Here's some door lock prints that may help(?). Now you see why I asked about the passenger door lock switch.

Edit: Below is the JB layout as well.

Name:  99XJJunctionBlock-1.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  2000DorLocks_1.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  108.0 KB

Edit:Name:  img408.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  93.0 KB

Last edited by CCKen; 04-05-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

OOhh, I have the exact same problem. Switch does absolutely nothing (no clicking and I am 99% sure the lock actuators arent getting power).
I have a new master/driver's switch panel that I fully cleaned up and re-soldered all connections. All power windows work, window lockout switch is rebuilt as well. I have yet to bust out the multimeter though.

Very interested in how this pans out...
Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check the wiring going through the boot between the frame and the door. See if you have any power there. It's a common place for wires to break.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Check the wiring going through the boot between the frame and the door. See if you have any power there. It's a common place for wires to break.
I think this is my next move. I guess i'll peel back all of the secondary wiring sheathing and see if i can find any torn/broken wires.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:11 PM

Engine: Inline 6

The passenger switch is actually the master switch. All commands get sent through it first. Yes, the driver side has all of the switches but if the passenger side goes then you are done.
Try checking the wires in the boot between the doors, common to find broken wires.
I learned all of this the hard way. My driver side lock switch would only unlock. Replaced the whole assembly only to find out later it was a bad connection in the passenger side control.
Best of luck.