Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Troubleshooting Dead Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Troubleshooting Dead Gauges

Hi Guys - Pulling my hair out a bit and have been searching without much luck. I have a 99 XJ Sport all stock. I replaced the transfer case last winter and the speedo reader stopped working. This spring I swapped the transfer case again - this time the speedo worked and all seemed well. Shortly after the gauges would die intermittently and I got an airbag light a couple of times. At this point I get no readings - however the gauges light up and the high beam and turn signal indicators light up.

I checked all connectors directly on the T-Case and they look good. I pulled the gauge cluseter and cleaned / applied dialectic grease to the pins. I also read that unplugging the airbag module under the drivers seat can resolve - looked under there and there's just a mounting bracket with a disconnected wire.

Before I go crazy cleaning grounds in the engine compartment - are there any connections to or around the transfer case I might have screwed up with the swap? Is there any specific ground in the engine bay I should check? I'm getting tired of filling up on gas based on mental estimates of miles traveled and MPG!
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:27 PM

Year: 2k

Are you getting a "no bus" message? If so, there is a write up about it in the write up section.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by bostonbeater
I also read that unplugging the airbag module under the drivers seat can resolve - looked under there and there's just a mounting bracket with a disconnected wire.
The airbag module was moved to under the rear of the center console due to persistent corrosion under the driver's seat.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Sorry to bring this one back up, but I don't think I'll pass inspection at the end of the month without a speedo. I'm not getting a no bus message.

Can anyone tell me which grounds to check? Should I just try a new cluster? Any other ideas?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l IL6

Have you done the self test on the gauge cluster to make sure it checks out? On 97+ XJs, hold the trip button down and turn on the key. It will cycle through the guages and lights (except 4x4 lights) and verify the cluster is operable.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM

I've tried the test Dort suggested and I get no lights. The only lights that work are the high beams and turn signal indicators - other than that nothing lights up.

I unplugged the airbag modules and cleaned the battery terminals. The only other thing I can think to try is getting a new (used) gauge cluster. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Ok - so I picked up a instrument cluster at a junkyard that I saw work (at least fuel and voltage, jeep wouldn't start), put it in and same problem. I've been one by one pulling the connectors off the T-case and checking, but no luck.

Any other grounds to look out for? Any other way to test?