Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trouble starting and conks out while running

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Trouble starting and conks out while running

1996 Cherokee Country

So over the past few weeks I've noticed my XJ wants to be sluggish starting in the mornings, but after a few seconds it'll start. Well the other night after work I went out to it, and it would slowly turn over but never start. After getting a jump it would start, but it would only stay running if I kept my foot on the gas, keeping it above around 1000 rpm. I drove it home, go out the next morning, starts fine. Go out the next day, same problem. This happened before last year, and replacing the battery seemed to fix the problem. Could it be the battery again? Or alternator maybe? Any help is appreciated guys!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sounds electrical. One of the most common symptoms of a marginal battery is stalling.

SO......start with a "load test" of the battery. Any parts store will do this for you for free. It is not uncommon to have premature battery failure.

And also be sure that your charging system is working properly or the battery sure can't do its thing. With a properly operating charging system and battery, you should see approximately 13.5 to 14.0 volts when measured with a meter directly at the battery. If you have a voltage gauge on the dash, what is it reading? That can be an indicator, but I always use a meter to verify; takes all of 1 minute.

Good luck!