Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trouble With AC Condenser Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 High Output
Default Trouble With AC Condenser Lines

Hello Everyone!

Over the past couple days, I've attempted to remove and replace the radiator, water pump, and condenser becuase they are all not working correctly. After the radiator was removed, I noticed that the upper and lower ac lines coming out of the condenser would not budge. Regardless what I do, even with liquid wrench, I cant seem to remove it. I'm worried that if I twist any harder I will bend the lines and have to replace those as well.

Maybe, some of you have ran into a similar problem. I had the exact same problem with the upper transmission oil cooler line on the radiator, which got bent due to a seized connector and had to replace it.

Thank you in advance!

T
Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 High Output

Bump. Has anyone encountered this issue? Any advice?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Not sure about a '96, but the lines on a '98 use "quick connects". It takes a tool to separate the connection and the quick connect "release tool" can be purchased at any auto parts store for cheap.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...25&fr2=piv-web

Last edited by djb383; 09-24-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

If you can take a picture of the fitting, we can provide advise more directly for the 1996 model.

Like dbj383 says, its a quick disconnect on later models, and that was done at least as early as 1997.

There is a circular spring in that disconnect and especially with the one with the spring facing the radiator, its subject to corrosion. What I did was spray a bunch of penetrant in there and then use a good pick to try and free up that spring. I just slowing worked my way all around the spring. Then I used the quick disconnect tool to separate the fitting.

You often need to use a pair of pliers or something around the quick disconnect to give it more leverage, particularly if you're using the cheap disconnect tools.

Make sure you have evacuated the system before you try to separate those lines. Otherwise once they come loose they will fly apart and you will end up with refrigerant oil everywhere you don't want it.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Tcbrocks
Bump. Has anyone encountered this issue? Any advice?
I just changed the condensers in both my XJs with ones I got from junkyards. After destroying 3-4 trying to get the hoses/lines off I gave up and swapped the condensers with the lines attached. So if you are getting the part from a salvage yard take them as a unit. If you get a new condenser get new lines as well. That's where a lot of leaks are anyway
Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i6

I'm going to assume you have the quick disconnect connectors, as I've never had trouble disconnecting anything else. I had a hard time getting my quick connects disconnected from the condenser the other day also. This is what helped.
1) Removed the Battery to get more clearance
2) Wear mechanics gloves
3) I used the cheap white plastic quick disconnect tool, like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...ool-97576.html
4) shove the plastic disconnect tool in hard with one hand while working on the refrigerant line with the other hand.
5) Don't just pull on the line. You need to shove it in, pull it out, wriggle it back and forth, and give it a slight twist. Also, pay attention to the angle you are pulling. Try to pull straight out without applying any sideways pressure. It'll come.

Last edited by slownis; 09-25-2014 at 09:42 AM.