Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Mount Prob or XJ Hypochondria?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmission Mount Prob or XJ Hypochondria?

Sorry in advance, I’m finding this hard to articulate...

THIS does not look right to me. Do I have a broken transmission mount? T’fer case seems to be sitting differently than before - higher? tilted clockwise a little? And, I can readily see what I think is the transmission mount. I don’t recall ever being able to see it, but I admit I tend to over-think everything and have no earlier pics of my transfer case/cross- member area to compare the orientation.
It also appears to me that there is supposed to be a clamp of sorts that runs over the pipe in front of my catalytic converter (see pic) and holds it down. Mine is incredibly rusted and broken (at least I assume the broken piece visible in the pic was connected at one time to the mess still left on the pipe).
My rear end has been feeling a little loose lately (for lack of better description) and I was doing the CF recommended preliminary “noggin pokin” to see if anything was amiss.

Any input is greatly appreciated (especially along the lines of “it’s ok - xj is just pulling a jedi mind trick on ya!” haha)
Thanks

POOP. Trying to fix the upside down pics. Dunce-tastic!
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Mount Prob or XJ Hypochondria?-img_2321.jpg   Transmission Mount Prob or XJ Hypochondria?-img_2326.jpg  

Last edited by tracyk; 09-23-2014 at 07:34 PM. Reason: apologize re idiot pic orientation
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tracyk
Sorry in advance, I’m finding this hard to articulate...

THIS does not look right to me. Do I have a broken transmission mount? T’fer case seems to be sitting differently than before - higher? tilted clockwise a little? And, I can readily see what I think is the transmission mount. I don’t recall ever being able to see it, but I admit I tend to over-think everything and have no earlier pics of my transfer case/cross- member area to compare the orientation.

I had to save that pic and rotate it so I could figure out what was up. I was getting sea sick looking at yours. That is the normal attitude of the TC, tilting down like that.

It also appears to me that there is supposed to be a clamp of sorts that runs over the pipe in front of my catalytic converter (see pic) and holds it down. Mine is incredibly rusted and broken (at least I assume the broken piece visible in the pic was connected at one time to the mess still left on the pipe).

There is supposed to be a clamp there. I bought heavy duty stainless steel clamps from Jeggs and installed them all around.

My rear end has been feeling a little loose lately (for lack of better description) and I was doing the CF recommended preliminary “noggin pokin” to see if anything was amiss.

Any input is greatly appreciated (especially along the lines of “it’s ok - xj is just pulling a jedi mind trick on ya!” haha)
Thanks

POOP. Trying to fix the upside down pics. Dunce-tastic!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Fix those pix, I almost dropped my laptop.
A few things: how much clearance do you have between the transfer case and the skidplate. It should be about a thumb width minimum. If lower, or contacting the plate, good chance your transmission mount (+/- engine mounts) are up for replacement. A good transmission mount "lifts" the transfer case upwards.
Difficult to see on your pic.

Your other question regarding the piece that is rusted and gone: that's part of the support of the (pre cat) exhaust. In the below pic you will have some idea what it should look like, although I could not find a better pic quicker. It actually keeping it up, instead of down ;0 You might need to zoom in to have a good view on it. If I remember what it's called, I'll try to find a better pic.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 AM

Year: 2000

Replace the mount. It looks like you have some dry rot and rust. Get a daystar.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hog Rush
Replace the mount. It looks like you have some dry rot and rust. Get a daystar.
Oh No! Busted crossmember bolts!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by CCKen
Oh No! Busted crossmember bolts!
Apparently, the cross member bolts are a weak link to the Cherokee as they use a Thread nut or thread rivet in the frame. The bolts go from underneath and the ends are exposed leaving them prone to rust and corrosion. SO when you try and take them out, they pop the rivet loose and/or break the bolt.

Replace the mount.

Use a punch to drive up through the rivets on the frame and pop them loose. Use a long center punch to dent the floor board directly over the hole.

Pull out lower interior molding.

Pull the front seats

Pull back carpet revealing the dents. Drive the dents back down the other way. Drill down with small drill bit on dents. Then drill holes larger from top so a 1/2x13 grade 8 bolt drops through the frame. Use a hole saw.

If no transfer case drop is installed
1/2"x13tpi grade 8 bolts that are 1" long work and use a nyloc nut

If a tc 1" drop is on the jeep, use 2" long bolts.

When going back, you can reach the head of the bolt with an extension and socket... and the nut from the bottom to tighten it.

I did this and all y drive line vibes are all but gone.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tracyk
Now that I copied the last pic and rotated it I can see the hanger rod is broken loose from the front exhaust pipe. You can take it to a good muffler shop and have them weld it back on. Just make sure that the front exhaust pipe is lifted enough to create a minimum of 3/8" clearance between the bottom of the exhaust pipe and the top of the cross member.

If you're thinking about replacing the front exhaust pipe with a Walker exhaust pipe - forget it. The outlet dimension on the walker pipe doesn't match the inlet of the catalytic converter, and the hanger rod is too small. The one you have now is around 9/16" in diameter and the Walker is 1/2" in diameter. The hanger would just float around in the rubber isolator.