Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmission Removal

I'd first like to begin by thanking everyone in advance for their help. I just bought my first Jeep (a 94 Cherokee) as a toy. The automatic trans slips in 3rd and 4th gears. Worse in 4th than 3rd. I know these AW4 trannys are supposed to be pretty tough.

I am going to pick up another AW4 out of a 95 cherokee this week and was thinking about doing the swap myself (well with a couple buddies of coarse). How difficult of a transmission is this to remove and reinstall? I have all your standard mechanics tools that we could possibly need. I do not have access to lift, but do have a transmission jack. I will have the vehicle up pretty high on a set heavy grade truck of jack stands.

I did download the factory service manual for an 00 Cherokee, so Id imagine they are pretty simular. Is there any advice anyone can give me? (and to pay someone else to swap it for me would be considered advice as well) I am rather mechanically inclined, but have never taken on a tranny swap before. I do generally do most of my own work on my vehicles.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996

if you know which end of a wrench is up you'll be fine. its not that hard. be careful on tranny lines, they get old and seized up, otherwise pretty straightforward.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

you're gonna have a hard time with those reverse torx bolts at the top of the tranny. there's 2, and they're a huge pita.
i've had luck using about 3 feet of extensions with a wobbler on the end.

also, use a tranny jack, those aw4's are heavy as hell, especially with the t-case attached.
you can remove the t-case first, but 4 of the 6 nuts/studs are worse than the reverse torx to get to, you'll need a stubby wrench for sure. 14mm and a 9/16.

also, there are a couple small bolts on the front side of the tranny that holds the inspection plate on, don't forget those, along with the cps.

good luck

oh, and remember which way the linkages all hook back up. note the transfer case... pics will help you there.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Just get the proper size torx socket and those top 2 bolts are a piece of cake. I think it's an E12 but not 100% sure.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM

I am picking up an AW4 tomorrow with the transfer case still attached. I am hoping that since I wont have to deal with separating a tranny and transfer case. Is their a gasket that goes between the bell housing and motor? Should I get a replacement from the Jeep dealer or just use a liquid gasket?

I was also told that it may be easier to use my motorcycle jack to pull the tranny instead of a transmission foot on a regular floor jack.

I am going to stop at Sears one night this week to pick up a set of the reversed Torx sockets. Any other specialty tools I'll need?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996

no gasket from bell housing to motor. between trans and t case there's two seals, but if your not seperating them don't worry. rear main seal is not serviced with trans removed so don't worry about that either.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

is your jeep lifted? you may not have enough clearance to slide the tranny under it when it's on the motorcycle jack, you should be able to get away with using it tho. but my tranny jack has both forward/back and side/side tilting to make it easier to mate the tranny back up while it's perfectly lined up.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 AM

The Jeep isnt lifted (yet) but I do have a really good set of jack stands, so I can get the axles up to about 24" off the ground safely.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Another quick question to those that have done this.

How long should I expect this job to take me? The tranny I bought already has the transfer case and crossmember attached, so I am thinking it should just a remove the old and reinstall the new?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

a 2 hour job always takes 4 hours. so, i'll say 3 hours. but it'll probably take 5.
it all depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and the tools you have to make it easier.

i changed one last fall that only took me 2.5 hours for a re+re, but i've done a few now.

don't forget to support the engine. it doesn't take much to tear those motor mounts, especially if they're old. i just use my engine crane, that way there's nothing really in my way under the jeep. if you have an overhead crane winch, it's ideal.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:06 AM

Hello im new, im taking my torque convertor out, I am almost at the end,the is a sprocket/star bolt that is at the top of the transmission. What size is it and how's the best way to break it loose.I own a 2wd jeep cherokee 4.0.please help!!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM

Unhappy Star/socket looking bolt at top of 96 cherokee transmission(how do u remove it)

I am changing out my torque covertor. I started removing the transmission and just above a harness wire that is some sort of sensor that I unplugged through the hood, after I tackled that I came across a bolt that looks like a star or arounded out socket. Will a 12 point socket fit it? And what extention or kind of rachet should I use. Please help!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM

I have a 1996 2wd cherokee, there is a star looking bolt near the top of the transmission. How and what with do I remove it with
Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Exclamation Star/socket looking bolt at top of 96 cherokee transmission(how do u remove it)

I am changing out my torque covertor. I started removing the transmission and just above a harness wire that is some sort of sensor that I unplugged through the hood, after I tackled that I came across a bolt that looks like a star or arounded out socket. Will a 12 point socket fit it? And what extention or kind of rachet should I use. Please help! I have a 96 cherokee 4.0.help me with this star bolt,and what size is it?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

did you not read the thread?
those are the 2 bolts mentioned above. they are reverse torx or inverted torx.
it's actually an E14. and no, a 12 point will not fit or work.

use about 3 feet of extensions with a wobbler and a ratchet. otherwise, good luck.

Last edited by caged; 08-29-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Removal