Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission and OBC problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission and OBC problems

Hey guys, need some help.
I have a 96 xj with 127k milles on it. Just replaced my fuel injectors, I guess this made my on board computer overload so now my engine is misfiring. Any idea where I could get a replacement and or fix the problem? Also my transmission **** the bed. I was going to get a re-manufactured one but jasper or any other place doesnt have my make. I have a 3042 LE Automatic 4wD. I believe manufactured by Aissin? Anyways Im hitting a wall here and just want to get back on the road. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by BigDirty
Hey guys, need some help.
I have a 96 xj with 127k milles on it. Just replaced my fuel injectors, I guess this made my on board computer overload so now my engine is misfiring. Any idea where I could get a replacement and or fix the problem? Also my transmission **** the bed. I was going to get a re-manufactured one but jasper or any other place doesnt have my make. I have a 3042 LE Automatic 4wD. I believe manufactured by Aissin? Anyways Im hitting a wall here and just want to get back on the road. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure you don't have an AW4?

I would double check the injectors - I would bet something's not plugged in all the way or that one of the connectors got boogered up (moving around 22 year old wiring and plastic) or that you got a bad injector in the set.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Did you mean 30-43LE? The ID tag for the AW4 should read either 30-43LE for 2wd, or 40-30LE for 4wd. Whats wrong with the transmission?

As for the injectors, i would try what PatHenry suggested. Also, where/from whom did you get the injectors? Were they cleaned and tested, or pulled from a yard? Because if they werent tested, etc, it could be a faulty injector.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,068 Likes on 858 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

I'm guessing you got the wrong injectors, or a set of junk chinese knock offs. If you need a set of injectors, send a pm to jhc7399. He sells refurbished and tested Bosch injectors for a good price. I've got a set and they work great. Also check that you got all the plugs back on the correct injectors as it's easy to get them swapped.

What's the transmission issue? Most of the time the transmission is fine and it's an electrical issue such as a bad sensor or solenoid, both of which are relatively easy and cheaper to fix than swapping the transmission. If you opt for a used transmission, beware there are issues swapping between some years. You'll want a 91-96 version. A 1997 can be used if you don't mind swapping the solenoid wiring or cutting and splicing. https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 AM

Thanks for all your reply’s guys. I took it to a shop and they tested everything and the injectors are fine. The computer is misfiring and I need a replacement. The transmission has been slipping into neutral. The strange part is that the specific one I need apparently no one remanufactures. According to the shop. And the Trans I wrote was the one he told me I had. They said I bassicaly had no options and they called everywhere.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

So, it ran okay until you installed the injectors? Did you mess up the tube/hose from the manifold to the MAP sensor in the process?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,068 Likes on 858 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)

Originally Posted by BigDirty
Thanks for all your reply’s guys. I took it to a shop and they tested everything and the injectors are fine. The computer is misfiring and I need a replacement. The transmission has been slipping into neutral. The strange part is that the specific one I need apparently no one remanufactures. According to the shop. And the Trans I wrote was the one he told me I had. They said I bassicaly had no options and they called everywhere.
You need a better shop, they sound incompetent. The Cherokee only used the AW4 transmission. Can you take a picture of the tag on it? The 42LE would be a Chrysler transmission, so are we talking about a Grand Cherokee and not a Cherokee? Is it dropping into neutral like the shifter got bumped and needs adjusted, or is it like it's downshifting into a low gear when it shouldn't? 95% of transmission problems with the Cherokees are not mechanical. Is it doing this at cruising speed in 4th gear (when the shift solenoids aren't enegized) or only in lower gears? Pull the fuse for the transmission computer and shift it with manually the shifter. You won't have the t/c lockup, but if it doesn't "drop into neutral" then it's probably a bad shift solenoid or even a bad TPS sensor. Also check the throttle-body cable to the transmission is properly adjusted (google cherokee tv cable adjustment).

If the only thing that changed was the injectors, then they are either the bad/wrong injectors, miswired, or something else got misconnected or unplugged. I seriously doubt it's the computer. Worst case buy a used one and swap it yourself to test instead of paying the shop.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 PM

I think I need to take it to another shop, everywhere else Ive called has no Idea what this guy is talking about and frankly neither do I. It shifts into neutral when im stopped or in reversing, nothing happens when Im cruising. The MAP sensor is fine but the small hose at the back right of the manifold cracked when I was driving, right across from the 6th injector. I think I can find another OEM easily, the transmission is really what Im worried about.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:41 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

try this:CRUISER'S MOSTLY RENIX TIPS

TRANSMISSION CONNECTOR REFRESHING

OCTOBER 30, 2015 SALAD 13 COMMENTS

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and goes to the NSS and the gray connector goes to the transmission itself
. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.

Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an ’87 to ’90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.