Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Transmission Mount

Ordered some motor mounts from Brown Dog, figured I better replace the trans mount as well but I'm finding two different styles...

I have listed the pics below, which one is the correct one?

Its for a 1990 XJ, auto trans

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Top I believe. At least that's what I have under mine.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Top I believe. At least that's what I have under mine.
That's what I though top, but ivench card various sites and BOTH say they are for my jeepJeep but both look very different lol
Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

If you have the BA10/5 both are wrong. Otherwise, your crossmember should have both offset and centered holes in it. Top pic is factory and "factory replacement".
If you can, do something more solid like the second pic.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Metmknice
If you have the BA10/5 both are wrong. Otherwise, your crossmember should have both offset and centered holes in it. Top pic is factory and "factory replacement".
If you can, do something more solid like the second pic.
Thanks for information!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I put the first pic on mine. It's defiantly the replacement for the AW4 auto trans.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

You can't go by the pictures. You need to order the correct mount FOR YOUR YEAR. Some years are offset, while others are centered. Buy the wrong one and it won't fit.

Also, there's not a right one or wrong one between the pictures you posted. The top picture is the OEM style mount (for some years). The bottom picture is a Daystar polyurethane mount (for some years). They are different style mounts. Both styles come in centered and offset configurations. Whichever one you choose, you have to buy the correct one (centered or offset) for your year.

To complicate matters, the vendors who sell the Daystar mounts are really bad about just posting the pic of the centered mount when what they're selling you is the offset mount. Or vice versa. So you can't actually go by what the picture looks like on the vendor websites, because they are likely not even showing you the mount they're actually selling on that page. You have to order the correct mount for your year and trust and hope that they send you the right one.

So let me make this simple for you. Don't bother with the Daystar. There's no appreciable difference in performance between it and the less expensive OEM-style mounts.

Instead, just buy an OEM-style mount locally at O'Reilladvanceautozonequestboys. The aftermarket OEM-style mounts are fine, and they're less expensive than the Daystar. And if you buy it locally, if they sell you the wrong one after looking it up in their system, you can take it back and make them give you the right one. Also, if you're upgrading to Brown Dog motor mounts, there's a school of thought that it's actually not a bad idea to use a softer OEM mount for the transmission to give one of the three points holding your drivetrain in place a bit of cushion.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by extrashaky
You can't go by the pictures. You need to order the correct mount FOR YOUR YEAR. Some years are offset, while others are centered. Buy the wrong one and it won't fit.

Also, there's not a right one or wrong one between the pictures you posted. The top picture is the OEM style mount (for some years). The bottom picture is a Daystar polyurethane mount (for some years). They are different style mounts. Both styles come in centered and offset configurations. Whichever one you choose, you have to buy the correct one (centered or offset) for your year.

To complicate matters, the vendors who sell the Daystar mounts are really bad about just posting the pic of the centered mount when what they're selling you is the offset mount. Or vice versa. So you can't actually go by what the picture looks like on the vendor websites, because they are likely not even showing you the mount they're actually selling on that page. You have to order the correct mount for your year and trust and hope that they send you the right one.

So let me make this simple for you. Don't bother with the Daystar. There's no appreciable difference in performance between it and the less expensive OEM-style mounts.

Instead, just buy an OEM-style mount locally at O'Reilladvanceautozonequestboys. The aftermarket OEM-style mounts are fine, and they're less expensive than the Daystar. And if you buy it locally, if they sell you the wrong one after looking it up in their system, you can take it back and make them give you the right one. Also, if you're upgrading to Brown Dog motor mounts, there's a school of thought that it's actually not a bad idea to use a softer OEM mount for the transmission to give one of the three points holding your drivetrain in place a bit of cushion.
Very informative, thanks a bunch!