Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Line leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission Line leaking

Hola Jeep people! I have an '89 Cherokee V6 4.0. A few days ago I noticed that whenever I would come to a stop then try to accelerate, it would take a second to catch gears, then it would take almost twice as much pressing down on the accelerator to get up to speed. I parked the car and noticed red fluid was leaking out whenever I would start it. I noticed a small hole in a line running from the radiator area to the tranny. I noticed the line is rubbing against the bar that runs between the 2 shocks in the front, and that is exactly where the little hole in the line is. I am not too proficient with cars, but it seems like this would be a fairly simple fix, just replace the hose, right? I just wanted to check in here to see if I am missing some glaringly obvious something. I don't have pictures right now but I can supply them if needed. What should I do? Replace the hose and add tranny fluid? How much fluid should I put in? When I check the dipstick, nothing at all shows on it... Is there a way to drain the fluid so I can know exactly how much I need to put in? Thanks a lot for any help ya'll can give!