Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Fluid Pan

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 OHV 12V FI Engine
Default Transmission Fluid Pan

I am changeing the tranny fluid and I have ALL the bolts off the pan but the thing seems to be stuck tight to the tranny. Any suggestions on how to get the pan off so i can change the filter? The transmission fluid has never been changed and it seems to have some sort of rubber gasket... but like i said... the gasket seems to be glueing the pan to the tranny. Very puzzleing... I have never encountered this before... Also while doing this i noticed my oil pan appears to be leaking -.- I just had the oil changed too -.- *le sigh*
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Ravenbolt
I am changeing the tranny fluid and I have ALL the bolts off the pan but the thing seems to be stuck tight to the tranny. Any suggestions on how to get the pan off so i can change the filter? The transmission fluid has never been changed and it seems to have some sort of rubber gasket... but like i said... the gasket seems to be glueing the pan to the tranny. Very puzzleing... I have never encountered this before... Also while doing this i noticed my oil pan appears to be leaking -.- I just had the oil changed too -.- *le sigh*

Get a big honkin' screwdriver and drive it in with a hammer.

I know, I know...sounds rough but that thing is not coming off with sweet talk and a couple of glasses of wine. You're gonna have to force it. Just don't scar up the mating surfaces.

And I think the dipstick will fight you, too. Search the archives for advice on that...the subject has been beat within an inch of it's life.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Yep. Factory uses silicone. I use a paint scraper as the blade is thinner. I'd put a couple bolts back in loosely so when it lets go you don't end up dumping the whole thing on your face. (Which is the most probable outcome actually. I do it every time no matter how I remove the pan.)
Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2Evil4U
Yep. Factory uses silicone. I use a paint scraper as the blade is thinner. I'd put a couple bolts back in loosely so when it lets go you don't end up dumping the whole thing on your face. (Which is the most probable outcome actually. I do it every time no matter how I remove the pan.)
I tried a various assortment of screw drivers... and while looking for the biggest one I had, I saw a wood carver... I instantly knew it to be my weapon of choice >.> It worked like a dream. And yeah now i cant get the dip stick line out -.- *le sigh*
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I

I just did my tranny fluid and filter. i had to take a screw driver and ahmmer to the pan. and i couldnt get the dipstick out so i just muscled it out of the way enough to get at the filter. It wasnt easy and got tranny fluid alll over me.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Topjimmyk
I just did my tranny fluid and filter. i had to take a screw driver and ahmmer to the pan. and i couldnt get the dipstick out so i just muscled it out of the way enough to get at the filter. It wasnt easy and got tranny fluid alll over me.
I am hopeing the get it out completely so i can clean the bottom of the pan out.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Once I removed the bolt that attaches it to the transmission housing up top, I was able to pull the whole thing out the bottom with the dipstick intact. I was then able to separate it in a controlled manner for re-installation.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

When re-installing what RTV is recommended? Red? Black?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM

I used Permatex Ultra Black. No gasket. Holding like a champ.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM

No RTV. The gasket/filter kit comes with it's own silicone or rubber gasket that works just fine by itself. You can slather a thin layer of bearing grease on one side, to get it to stick to the pan. Other than that, you really don't need RTV, and in fact shouldn't use it with trans fluid. Unless of course you have some monsterous gouges in either mating surface.

The pan with full dipstick can be removed as an assembly from the bottom of the jeep without being jacked up, and without any aftermarket lift. If you can get the press joint to separate, it's even easier. For those who don't know, there is a press joint about 8-10 inches up from the elbow on the dipstick tube. This gets rusty and stuck after many miles. I had to use a blow torch to separate it, cleaned inside and out, placed a new o-ring on it, then slathered it with anti-seize.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM

OEM uses RTV with no gasket on the trans pan and both axle covers. Why screw with a gasket and build in twice the leak paths?