Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission cooler line leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L V6
Post Transmission cooler line leak

Ok, so I've read several other threads on here in relations to others having the same problem I am... The line is leaking at the lovely quick disconnect just behind the radiator, in front of the belts. I tried replacing the line leading back to the transmission, and after several problems with that, it still leaks at the quick disconnect point. I tried putting in an additional rubber gasket for ****s and giggles... still leaking (even worse!). So after reading a bunch of threads, I decided to cut the connect off, push the rest of the hose onto the hard line, and clamp it down. I can't get the hose over the flare piece that the connect would snap over, but I did manage to get two clamps on beneath that and onto the hose. Regardless, I still have a pin ***** leak that I can't get to go away to save my life! Suggestions? Perhaps I'm mis-reading something or am just an idiot with a lack of patience today.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Just cut ours out with a tubing cutter and replaced with rubber tranny hose from the parts store....double clamped both ends.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler line leak-007.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM

I'll have to see if I've a buddy with a tubing cutter so I can finish taking all of that off.
This may seem like a stupid question, but even though I cut off just the one end, shouldn't the remaining hose be the same transmission hose? And given so, the clamping that I'm doing already should work... but isnt....
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Thought u said u had a pin hole leak in the rubber line? Sounds like its old and needs to be replaced. They sell it by the foot at the auto parts stores.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Well I have a small leak, but let me try to re-explain for clarification. I cut off the quick disconnect end that attaches to the hard line, and then used the remaining rubber hose that was left to reconnect to the hard line. I'm not sure if that hose is the right size, but I can't seem to get the clamps to close down hard enough to keep it from spitting out a stream of tranny fluid. Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 PM

As an update, I ended up cutting off the rest of the hose from the line (pretty much the same thing as djb383 did in his photo) and placed a new piece of tranny hose on with two clamps on each end. I still see some fluid leaking from the top side, but I'm hoping and praying its just some residual from spraying cleaner in there to try and sop everything up. If not... I'm going to lose it!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

I believe most rubber tranny hose is 5/16" ID.....is that what u used for replacement?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 I6

RTV THAT B!TCH!!! i di and never lookedback. tried everything till i finally decided to jimmy rig it and no problems since
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

just did mine a few weeks ago. cut out the offensive factory section just like in the above picture. Hose clamped in a new section of tranny line from auto parts store - I believe on my '96 it was 3/8" line. Flared the ends of the metal lines and used a single hose clamp on each end. I added an extra foot so I could tuck it up inside and away from the engine heat, fan, and road debris and I think it helped relieve tension on the hose clamps too. Hasn't leaked a drop and I couldn't be happier - after messing with that ridiculous disconnect for a month!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Sorry took so long to get back to y'all, been doing a move in addition to this work, so busy busy!

djb - It was a 3/8" line that I needed and used.

It seemed like all was fixed until I saw it leaking once more yesterday from the same area. Hoping tomorrow or Monday I can get a chance to work on it and I just intend on cutting off on the top side hard line from where the quick disconnect would snap over down. The rubber hose is connected flush with that piece but I'm guessing its just not far enough up to prevent the leak. So I'm going to try that and see what happens. One more leak, and I will RTV it! Ridiculous!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline

I am having the same exact issue. Did you pull the lines off the jeep to flare them or did you do it with them installed. If you did with them installed, how did you do it? I'm pretty new at this but this leak is driving me crazy.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM

I did try replacing the lines as a whole, and never got any better. Ended up leaving the lines in, flaring them alittle with a pair of plyers, and then installed new hosing on there about 3-4 inches past the end. Then put clamps on fairly tight being careful not to cut into the hose, and it's been good since. Took a few start ups to get it right, but its good now!
Good luck and let me know if youve any further questions!