Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans has a mind of it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Trans has a mind of it's own!

So I went trailing with some buddies tonight and as we were wrapping up the night and heading out of the trails my tranny decides to stop working! It just revs in no matter what gear I place it in. Then I turn the car off, turn it back on, put it in gear and it moves a hundred yards and slips back out. I was able to get out of the woods by turning it off and back on and coasting and then get a tow back to a friends place. Anyone have any idea what this could be?? I was reading another thread saying something about TPM or a speed sensor? Thank you a head of time for your help.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 AM

By tpm I meant tps. could this be the problem?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 AM

No one has any suggestions?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Hey just notcied this thread but i had the exact same problem when i first bought my jeep, it will run and seem fine when its a cold start and will go about a mile before i have no gears or gear selections.. I replaced my trans filter and fluids and solved my problem.. Now my filter was clogged to the make were the screen in the filter was popping out.. But i would start there unless anyone else chimes in and has a different solution..

Also which trans you have..? Standard or Auto?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Hey thank you. I have a 96 Automatic 2WD. I just changed the fluid and filter last week but I did do some serious mudding last night so could it have gotten clogged from that? Thank you for the help.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:34 PM

So I saw when searching through other threads someone said that there was a piece of their catalytic convertor that had broken off and they replaced or just took out the cat and this problem went away. My question is what does the cat have to do with it? I ask bc I looked at the cat and it isn't tight on the exhaust pipe. It is just sliding around. Could this be a component of the problem? I'm so confused.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:05 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Drop the pan and check filter and fluid quality. Make sure theres not any chuncks of stuff showing upp and what not. Tps could be the problem I supose but it can be checked with a multi meter and a little time. I would be willing to bet something let loose like a seal of some sort and fluid is bypassing. Check the easy stuff first and preceed to the harder more expensive things as you have too.

Lata
Matt
Old 10-30-2010, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by gillette_matt
So I saw when searching through other threads someone said that there was a piece of their catalytic convertor that had broken off and they replaced or just took out the cat and this problem went away. My question is what does the cat have to do with it? I ask bc I looked at the cat and it isn't tight on the exhaust pipe. It is just sliding around. Could this be a component of the problem? I'm so confused.
No not at all, all a clogged catalytic converter will cause you to loose power and your engine not run right because of the excess backpressure it causes. Shouldnt effect what you're describing in any way

Last edited by xj_maniac_newb; 10-30-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:05 PM

Ok thanks guys. I read that someone else disconnected the tcu in order to see if it was that and just shifted from 1-2 to 3 to drive. Has anyone done this? Where is the tcu located? I am getting so frustrated at this point. Thank you for your help.

Where is the TCU located on the 96? I can not find it. Game plan for tomorrow is to check the connections and clean the TPS, NSS, Brake Switch, and Speed Sensor.

Last edited by gillette_matt; 10-30-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:31 AM

plan of attack today:
1) Find the TC and unplug it to find out if its an electrical issue or if it the problem is still there, a mechanical issue
2) If its electrical, check all inputs to the TCU (NSS, TPS, Speed Sensor)
3) Check to make sure the filter isnt clogged even though its new as of last week.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by gillette_matt
Hey thank you. I have a 96 Automatic 2WD. I just changed the fluid and filter last week but I did do some serious mudding last night so could it have gotten clogged from that? Thank you for the help.
Just curious, How do you do "serious mudding" with a 2wd?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cherokee1989
IDK man, 2wd will go through some ****, however, 4wd is outrageously more capable... id own a subaru if i wanted 2wd capabilities... so glad i didnt buy one...
Old 10-31-2010, 01:56 PM

i mean it wasnt really too serious mudding... it was just throwing playing in some pretty decent mud. The swampers help with the lack of 4wd. I have gotten no where with this thing and am getting very frustrated.

No one has any suggestions? Thank you for the help.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by cherokee1989
Seen a stock height Z71 single cab on thornbirds go places you would never believe in 2wd, like powerbrakeing all the way across a mudhole to rut it out lol
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 PM

Yea I havent gotten stuck yet and it blowed through some thick stuff.

SOO back to the original problem... I got nowhere today because I could not find the TCU. I replaced all the radiator fluid and flushed the system also and now I'm drastically leaking radiator fluid as well! This thing has gotten some serious problems from the PO. I think I am going to have to resort to dropping it off at a mechanic this week and see if they can do anything because this is BLOWING my mind!

Quick Reply: Trans has a mind of it's own!