Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default tranny slipping

Got a 96 Cherokee 4.0 an when I come to a stop just kinda revaluation up an then catches an goes. Checked my fluid levels an everythings fine any ideas
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Level is only one thing to check when it comes to fluid.

The fluid should be RED in color.

The fluid should not smell BURNT

Any of the above can create transmission symptoms
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Are there clutches in automatics
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

yes their are clutches and bands in side of an automatic transmission.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

I am confused. Do you mean it hesitates at takeoff after you stop?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Yes when I stop its almost like its tryin to pull out in second. It just kinda revs when I hit the gas an barely moves then catches an goes
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by droark
Yes when I stop its almost like its tryin to pull out in second. It just kinda revs when I hit the gas an barely moves then catches an goes
are there any other times when it gives you problems? no strange shifts while driving? true tranny slip is when the gear slips from one to another and from what you described sounds like you are saying it hesitates at takeoff.

I had a problem with mine stumbling like that a while back but I changed my throttle sensor and I cleaned my IAC really good and it took that stumble away at takeoff. Now, with that said, if for some odd reason your transmission is not downshifting all the way to 1st when you come to a stop, you may have some kind of odd takeoff, but in theory it would still be pretty smooth. There is an adjustment for the kickdown cable on those things that adjusts the downshift of the transmission and the shifting points. But, don't think that would be it, however, it is hard to say without seeing the problem. I adjusted mine a while back and it makes a difference in the shifting, although sometimes I get a slightly harder shift from 1 to 2 when the car is colder. After it warms up, it is smooth through all gear shifts.

Is there anyway you could maybe post a video on here of the gauges or whatever at takeoff while you are experiencing the problem?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990/2001

I recently had an issue with my tranny jerking at freeway speeds thrn it started doing it on the street as well. I suspected the TPS but was getting no codes. It finally threw a code(PO121) so I went ahead and changed the TPS and (knock on wood) its been running good.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by jeepxj99

are there any other times when it gives you problems? no strange shifts while driving? true tranny slip is when the gear slips from one to another and from what you described sounds like you are saying it hesitates at takeoff.

I had a problem with mine stumbling like that a while back but I changed my throttle sensor and I cleaned my IAC really good and it took that stumble away at takeoff. Now, with that said, if for some odd reason your transmission is not downshifting all the way to 1st when you come to a stop, you may have some kind of odd takeoff, but in theory it would still be pretty smooth. There is an adjustment for the kickdown cable on those things that adjusts the downshift of the transmission and the shifting points. But, don't think that would be it, however, it is hard to say without seeing the problem. I adjusted mine a while back and it makes a difference in the shifting, although sometimes I get a slightly harder shift from 1 to 2 when the car is colder. After it warms up, it is smooth through all gear shifts.

Is there anyway you could maybe post a video on here of the gauges or whatever at takeoff while you are experiencing the problem?
Basically when I come to a full stop an take off it doesn't pull forward like an automatic should an ill hold the gas an it will rev then u feel it catch and it will go. Everything shifts fine after that. Someone told me it could be the torque converter but I'm not sure
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L i6

Basically when I come to a full stop an take off it doesn't pull forward like an automatic should an ill hold the gas an it will rev then u feel it catch and it will go. Everything shifts fine after that. Someone told me it could be the torque converter but I'm not sure
Mine does the same thing... havent even had my jeep for a week and just started driving it monday (when i got the plates) it did it once yesterday at a stop and the engine got power but it wasnt until i let off the gas and then went back on that it caught into gear. Then once more this morning when pulling onto a busy road trying to go fast to get ahead of traffic... Any more help on this?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM

I mean it is possible that it could be in the torque converter and I say that because I have a friend that has a newer model jeep (not an xj though) and there was a problem with internals of the torque converters shuttering and causing a vibration which, in turn, sheered off hunks of metal and threw them back into the transmission. Just the other day he was at a stop light and went to take off and the motor just revved up high and then the tranny blew. Shook the jeep and made a big boom and all.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L 6Cyl L8

Did you try adjusting the shift linkage cable?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Start simple--fluid change-drop the pan and see if there is any crap in there. Check all ur cables for the proper settings. If you have a filter-paper or metal screen -change it or clean the screen.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Start even simpler than that, pull the tranny dipstick out and check the fluid level and color. As stated earlier, it should be filled to the proper level (engine running in neutral) and it should be a clear red in color and not smell burnt.