Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tranny Oil/Pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default Tranny Oil/Pan

Hey guys, today the xj hit the 5,000 mile mark so I decided to change the oil, engine and tranny.

Went with synthetic Mobil-1 10w-30 and i have to say, it idles and runs nicer than it ever has in my possession. Also added a bit of sea-foam to shut the lifters up.

Now as for the tranny...
The guy at AZ told me that 2 quarts of tranny fluid should be enough, but when I drained it, it looked as if at least 2 1/2 quarts came out.

Another issue is dropping the oil pan. I couldn't for the life of me, so im assuming it never was dropped. I was planning on putting a new filter in but gave up after a while and just put all the bolts back on.

Now what I am going to say next might be very unpopular...
Instead of using Dexron III as recommended, I went with Lucas Semi-Sythetic.

Any thoughts on this oil and if my tranny will last much longer with this decision?

Also, is there any technique to getting the oil pan off besides brute force?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did.you put the seafoam in the crankcase? Also unsure why you are wanting to drop the pan.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

The "filter" in the tranny is nothing more than a metal mesh screen. It only keeps the larger pieces out. There's really no need to change it. If you feel that you must (and I did when I got my current XJ), first, remove the nut up by the dipstick and while pulling gently upward, twist the dipstick tube back nad forth (gently). The tube is a two-piece design with a rubber o-ring at the joint. Then, drain the pan, remove the bolts and then, remove the pan. Install is the opposite. Before you reinstall the dipstick tube, wirebrush the end of the tube (at the joint) and use a little grease on it. It'll make putting it back together much easier. Make sure that the o-ring is in good shape.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by Wojtas

Now what I am going to say next might be very unpopular...
Instead of using Dexron III as recommended, I went with Lucas Semi-Sythetic.

Any thoughts on this oil and if my tranny will last much longer with this decision?
Yikes... I can't say for certain because i've only ever put dex 3 in, but everyone says these AW4s are PICKY. But even to that extent, i feel personally that everything from lucas is garbage...

Whats the point of putting something else in, when the factory recommended stuff is still readily available for cheap?

Not sure if it will have any ill effects, but i would save yourself the trouble, and just pick up a pack of 12 dex/merc 3, and do a few drain and fills.

Drain, Fill, Drive 100 miles, repeat until fluid is nice and red
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I run Amsoil sythetic ATF in mine with no problems (runs great in fact) BUT I started with it at 20,000 miles. The tranny pan is a little bit of a pain... but after the bolts/dip stick are out, I just use a large screwdriver/small pry bar and there is a spot on the drivers side where you can get it in there. Just don't bend the ban and you will be fine (have to break the gasket). The hitting it with a mallet method that I use on the dif wont ever move it.