Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tranny line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default tranny line?

theres a metal line that runs from the tranny all the way up front and has about a 12" rubber section by the front of the pan that leaks while running..it looks like the rubber section just kinda snaps on to the metal line? what do i call this if i go to get a new one and how does it come off?...the rubber piece says transmission on it but the fluid looks like oil?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0I

if your tranny fluid looks like oil, change it now. the line you can get some from your nearest parts store and just pull the old one off and add a new line with some hose clamps. easy fix and nothing to worry about.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jakesxj18
if your tranny fluid looks like oil, change it now. the line you can get some from your nearest parts store and just pull the old one off and add a new line with some hose clamps. easy fix and nothing to worry about.
when i check the tranny fluid with the dsipstick it looks clean as hell...the rubber section has pretty specific looking ends on it,you think a rubber hose with clamps will suffice?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0L

Hey, take the rubber hose off and goto a local hardware store, most of those hoses are generic.. so if you want to pay 10 bucks at the dealer for a dollar part thats ok.. but it might be good to change the fluid if its dark, or smells burnt?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 AM

my tranny fluid is clean so i don't think thats whats leaking out of that line but the line runs from the radiator to the trans..what is it?....i'm all about fixing it the cheapest way possible but i don't want to do it twice,meaning if i hose clamp a random rubber line on there and leaks then i gotta go get the right one
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I had to replace mine And I just did as they said no problems with it. Dealer hose clamps are the same as regular ones they just arn't meant to be used more than once so they can charge extra when they need to fix it. Just slap some new hose clamps on it and call it good.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
I had to replace mine And I just did as they said no problems with it. Dealer hose clamps are the same as regular ones they just arn't meant to be used more than once so they can charge extra when they need to fix it. Just slap some new hose clamps on it and call it good.
it doesn't have hose clamps on it it has some kinda big crimped slide-on looking ends(is that a dealer hose clamp?) that attach to the metal lines.....stryker,what is the function of the line?will it leak when i take the old rubber line off? thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

The question that you asked and everyone ignored is what are the lines for. They run to a small coil in the radiator to help the tranny to cool it's fluid. Thus the lines are feed and return cooling lines. All automatic trannys build up heat and need to be cooled in some manner and almost all use the vehicle's cooling system. The only exception that comes to mind are the late 70s and early 80s VW bugs with automatics. They used an air cooling system for those automatic trannies.

They use a quick connect like the fuel line on the fuel pressure regulator. There is a special tool that is used to disconnect all of those various sized lines. ( mine looks like a starwars X wing fighter)

Last edited by BlueXJ; 10-23-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
The question that you asked and everyone ignored is what are the lines for. They run to a small coil in the radiator to help the tranny to cool it's fluid. Thus the lines are feed and return cooling lines. All automatic trannys build up heat and need to be cooled in some manner and almost all use the vehicle's cooling system. The only exception that comes to mind are the late 70s and early 80s VW bugs with automatics. They used an air cooling system for those automatic trannies.
thank you blue...so is there coolant in it?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by seed
thank you blue...so is there coolant in it?
The lines contain tranny fluid and if they are leaking it should be red. The lines go into that coil I described and are cooled by the radiator much the same as your engine coolant is but in a seperate chamber(coil) inside the radiator.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM

Year: 1999

that end can be replaced with a house camp and rubber.. i had to this weekend when i could not find the tool and every shop was closed for the night.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by GrantMLS
that end can be replaced with a house camp and rubber.. i had to this weekend when i could not find the tool and every shop was closed for the night.
What do you do with a house camp and how is that related to a condom (rubber)?? Just thought I may have missed something!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Year: 1999

wow - i can't even make somthing up to defend that... ok Hose Clamp and Rubber hose- - not much pressure in the translines..
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by GrantMLS
wow - i can't even make something up to defend that... ok Hose Clamp and Rubber hose- - not much pressure in the translines..
Well you can't blame spell check for sure. Use the preview post option unless you post in the quick box. It will help to proof read your posts before submitting them. I for one thought it was quite humorous.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 PM

thanks for the info guys...hey blue any idea why the tranny fluid leaking out of that line looks so dirty yet the tranny fluid on the dipstick looks so clean?

Quick Reply: tranny line?