Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tranny leak

92 cherokee
bought jeep about 6 months ago, been restoring while using.
tranny went dry sometime while the po, or I had it, topped her off about a month ago. ran great. started having issues again recently.
First radiator has been leaking due to rot in the hoses, ok, replaced top.
Lower hose has been leaking recently but I've been keeping it topped off when I drive, for now until payday.

Well i replaced the top hose few days ago and after running it for a bit came out to a large puddle under the jeep. radiator didnt seem to be low when I checked it. but the trans started running like crap. it was dark and the fluid was kinda dark but not red/brown like I would expect from new/burnt mixed tran fluid thats only 3 weeks old.

Checked the trans today after driving home from work and it was dry. apparently I lost a gallon of fluid in the past 3 weeks.
Quick look the only fluid which was mainly antifreeze green appeared to come from the front of the engine/lower hose.

Im not sure how the cooling lines work for the trans. I assume water flows through the lines into the trans correct?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Im not sure how the cooling lines work for the trans. I assume water flows through the lines into the trans correct?
no trans fluid runs through the lines in to the radiator and has its own cooler in there. then cooler could be leaking internally, and it would be better to get an external cooler, because heat kills transmissions
Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM

well good thing I only drive 5 miles one way, its under 30* outside and will be only putting about another 25 miles on it max.

So Im assuming the lines are whats leaking. its a 92 and was kept in very poor condition.

when you say get an external cooler. mean more of an add on cooler and install that?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

when you say get an external cooler. mean more of an add on cooler and install that
yeah you can get one at any auto parts store and i goes in front of the radiator. also have you looked under the jeep to see if there is any fluid dripping
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM

the radiator has been leaking a lot of antifreeze and I thought it was washing gunk off the engine causing the huge dark spots on the street.

but to my dismay its been dripping brown trans fluid. I havnt gotten to looking directly at it, but it seems to be leaking close to the radiator, pretty much right below where the hose is currently leaking above. hence why I couldnt notice. or so I tell myself
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

If the radiator is rotted I would replace it and all the hoes, I see you did upper hose but I suggest doing the lower hose both hoses to the trans and both heater hoses, its worth every dime for the peice of mind when every time you check the trans or rad and its always good to go.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 PM

Guess I should read my repair guide a bit more, wasnt aware until recently transmissions had cooling lines.