Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tranny fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Default tranny fluid question

well today while I was wheeling my tranny started to slip in first gear after going through some deep mud. after about 10-20 minutes it stopped slipping and started driving normal again. this was the first time I ever had an issue with the tranny. when I checked the fluid it was a little low on fluid (just at or over the add line) and it is brown in color and smells burnt so I want to put some new fluid in it. I have 129k miles on my xj and its tranny and im not sure when it was last changed or if it has ever been changed before. I did some research online and saw that I shouldn't bother changing it because it could lead to more problems. so what should I do? just top it off and keep driving it? not really sure what to do
Old 12-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6

top it off and hope for the best. DO NOT get it flushed as in your xj may never move again with your tranny
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by bloddy mud
top it off and hope for the best. DO NOT get it flushed as in your xj may never move again with your tranny

can I add any stabilizers to try to maybe thicken up the fluid a little bit? or is that not a good thing to do?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Year: 1993

maybe worth a try. it didn't save my dodges tranny. but then again that's a chrystler tranny. these Cherokees are tough. trya stabilizer not a flush.i cant stress it hard enough don't flush. I don't care what a local shop says they don't care as long as they get their money is all that matters.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by bloddy mud
maybe worth a try. it didn't save my dodges tranny. but then again that's a chrystler tranny. these Cherokees are tough. trya stabilizer not a flush.i cant stress it hard enough don't flush. I don't care what a local shop says they don't care as long as they get their money is all that matters.

yea ive heard a million times not to flush so I don't plan on doing that. just trying to see what my options are. it drives fine now and doesn't slip as of right now so im prob just going to leave it be. I think it started slipping because I might have over heated it then once it cooled down it was fine again
Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Engine: 4.0L HO

I agree don't do a pressurized flush, but do drain and fill the fluid. Old burnt fluid isn't doing any good, get that stuff out of there. Drain it (there is a drain plug on the bottom of the trans pan), refill with 3.5-4qt DexronIII/Mercon (DO NOT USE ATF+4), drive 100 mi or so, and repeat until the "old" fluid that comes out is bright red like fresh fluid out of the bottle (may take 3-4 times if it is really dirty). Get good fluid in there first before you start messing with additives. (Note: most additives only delay the inevitable, if additives are the only way you can stop the slipping, start looking for a replacement transmission).

Last edited by dmill89; 12-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

heat kills these trans (plus water ask me how I know ),,,,good after market oil cooler is a nice we mod ....x4 don't flush .....
Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dmill89
I agree don't do a pressurized flush, but do drain and fill the fluid. Old burnt fluid isn't doing any good, get that stuff out of there. Drain it (there is a drain plug on the bottom of the trans pan), refill with 3.5-4qt DexronIII/Mercon (DO NOT USE ATF+4), drive 100 mi or so, and repeat until the "old" fluid that comes out is bright red like fresh fluid out of the bottle (may take 3-4 times if it is really dirty). Get good fluid in there first before you start messing with additives. (Note: most additives only delay the inevitable, if additives are the only way you can stop the slipping, start looking for a replacement transmission).
HERE^^ is the answer.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Top it off until you have the 20 minutes to drain the pan, and add back that amount of DexIII or Dex/M fluid. Pan drain takes ~4 quarts it seems. I am doing it tomorrow. I can't imagine fluid additives would help (maybe BG but even then). You will have to drain & fill a few times to flush out the full amount of fluid as there is a bunch that doesn't drain when the plug is pulled. I'd recommend atleast twice but you should do it until it's red. You can pick up D3/M fluid for the AW4 transmission at local parts stores for <$20/gallon.

edit: beat me to it.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Year: 97

I've slowly been flushing my tranny with super tech (walmart) dexIII.... for almost a year now

its cheap and up to spec so I'm confident it will do the job....

anyone on board with this train of thought??
Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
I've slowly been flushing my tranny with super tech (walmart) dexIII.... for almost a year now

I'm with you 100%.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by DieselDaze

Yes, sir! That's the way to go!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1999

flush the trans with atf+4 then do a fluid anf filter change with atf+4. then hope for the best. chances are if it already started to slip you're screwed.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
flush the trans with atf+4 then do a fluid anf filter change with atf+4. then hope for the best. chances are if it already started to slip you're screwed.
Not good advice to follow^.

Aw4s do not like +4.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
No no no

Dex3 only

Quick Reply: tranny fluid question