Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

trailer hitch install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default trailer hitch install

I purchased a receiver hitch from UHAUL today. I'm having trouble loosening the existing bolt holding the skid shield on the side of the gas tank. I used the breaker bar and can move the bolt, but it doesn't seem to get any easier after several yanks. Has anyone encountered this? The bolt needs to be removed because the hitch slides between the plate and the frame.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by jeepmerunning
I purchased a receiver hitch from UHAUL today. I'm having trouble loosening the existing bolt holding the skid shield on the side of the gas tank. I used the breaker bar and can move the bolt, but it doesn't seem to get any easier after several yanks. Has anyone encountered this? The bolt needs to be removed because the hitch slides between the plate and the frame.
hmm, strange hitch, i just bought a drawtite off at the pull-a-part and it just came off with 8 bolts and a little hacking at the unibody with a chisel (couldnt get the last bolt off and had no PB) cant help you with anything but how to take one off so sorry
Old 06-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Get some PB blaster and spray a good amount up there the night before and let it soak in over night. It will help.
Good Luck
Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 PM

I sprayed some PB on it, but it has not been overnight. I'll give it another yank tomorrow morning. It's broken loose but will not continue to loosen. Surely, there's no nut on the other end of the bolt b/c there's no accees to it inside the frame.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

There either a nutstrip in the frame or a lag bolt and plate lock. Also lost of rust. Soak it with PB Blaster it will either break loose or just break. If you remove the bumper brackets you can access the inside of the rails.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:18 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

More than likely you have a plate lock that is slipping inside of the rail. I had that same problem with a hitch I had removed at a U wrench it yard. All of the bolts broke clean as a whistle (As I was planning them to) with a quarter turn of the breaker bar, except the last one.... I spent two hours trying to chisel that bolt off. Grade 8 bolts don't chisel too easily. Get a saws all or better yet a cut off wheel and cut it off, save you the trouble I had . For $6 you can and should replace all of the bolts. Use mechanic's wire to wrap into the threads of the new bolts and pull them into place, works great! Good luck!
Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by triplehooked
More than likely you have a plate lock that is slipping inside of the rail. I had that same problem with a hitch I had removed at a U wrench it yard. All of the bolts broke clean as a whistle (As I was planning them to) with a quarter turn of the breaker bar, except the last one.... I spent two hours trying to chisel that bolt off. Grade 8 bolts don't chisel too easily. Get a saws all or better yet a cut off wheel and cut it off, save you the trouble I had . For $6 you can and should replace all of the bolts. Use mechanic's wire to wrap into the threads of the new bolts and pull them into place, works great! Good luck!
haha same thing happened to me! Found one at the Pull-A-Part and got every bolt but one off with ease, until i get to the last one...2 hours later im taking a chisel to the unibody and cut a fist sized hole to get it out
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM

It finally came out, just stayed tight until the final threads. That was better than fishing the bolt thru the frame from the inside.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM

It finally came out, just stayed tight until the final threads. That was better than fishing the bolt thru the frame from the inside.

How would be a good time to run a tap into each of the four holes in the weld nut bar (you just removed the one bolt) since the remaining three have been rusting since the vehicle was produced.

The thread size is M12-175.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 AM

When unscrewing factory bolts from there threaded attachment, it is best to not keep screwing them counter-clockwise (out). There will be a lot of rust on the bolt thread and the more you turn it out the tighter the rust will compact into it's thread.

Instead, turn the bolt out a full revolution, then in a full revolution, then spray it. Next out 2 full revolutions, then in 1 revolution, then spray it. Next out 3 revolutions, then in 1, then spray it.

Keep doing the out, then in, then spray and you will have greater success with less frustration on the mechanic. These baby steps, instead of brute force counter-clockwise, will get you there.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by webb'scherokee
When unscrewing factory bolts from there threaded attachment, it is best to not keep screwing them counter-clockwise (out). There will be a lot of rust on the bolt thread and the more you turn it out the tighter the rust will compact into it's thread.

Instead, turn the bolt out a full revolution, then in a full revolution, then spray it. Next out 2 full revolutions, then in 1 revolution, then spray it. Next out 3 revolutions, then in 1, then spray it.

Keep doing the out, then in, then spray and you will have greater success with less frustration on the mechanic. These baby steps, instead of brute force counter-clockwise, will get you there.
couldn't agree more! ^
Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 PM

i am having a major issue with my 99 jeep grand cherokee limited,it stall on me while iwas on my way to work i resently replace the the ecm computer, fuel fuse and fuel filter it start then run for about 5 - 10 mins n shut off need any help i can get