Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Track Bar Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Track Bar Replacement Help

I am replacing the OE track bar on my '97 XJ with one from Moog. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to make this as pain free as possible.
I have been spraying PB on the frame side post nut for the past couple of days to try and loosen it up.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I've had trouble with 3 out of 5 that I have worked on. I would try and spray some rust bust in the opening of the pass. side axle. Its a little slot where a metal tab sticks down(this is attached to the nut) if you load the threads and nut up with penetrating fluid you will be in better shape. Oh wait maybe you're not in the midwest? The nut at the frame bracket can be bad too, it has a kinda dish area around it that holds mud, oil, or with some luck maybe engine bay fluid crud. I have a friend that takes off the whole bracket at the frame and then takes off the axle side bolt. This way may take longer but may have less frustration.(you can separate the joint out of the car) Best of luck, the easy part is throwing it back together.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by tj40
I've had trouble with 3 out of 5 that I have worked on. I would try and spray some rust bust in the opening of the pass. side axle. Its a little slot where a metal tab sticks down(this is attached to the nut) if you load the threads and nut up with penetrating fluid you will be in better shape. Oh wait maybe you're not in the midwest? The nut at the frame bracket can be bad too, it has a kinda dish area around it that holds mud, oil, or with some luck maybe engine bay fluid crud. I have a friend that takes off the whole bracket at the frame and then takes off the axle side bolt. This way may take longer but may have less frustration.(you can separate the joint out of the car) Best of luck, the easy part is throwing it back together.
PB blaster and a pickle fork
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

I'm also replacing my track bar. I have a 2000 cherokee with a 4 1/2 lift and the PO still had the original track bar on. I was driving to work one day and the WOBBLE started, at 70mph, talk about a wake up call. The bushing on the track bar was shot. So UPGRADE TIME, I'm going with this from Ironman 4x4 Fab;

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Jeep_XJ...rs/XJ_FTB.html

should get it tues or wed.....hope
Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Soaking everything in rusb-buster stuff a couple of days before the spanner day is always worthwhile I found.

I replaced my track bar a little while ago. Popped it off on the driver side no problem.

The other side was a real bugger. The nut came off no problem, but I could not get the bolt out. It had got stuck completely. In the end went to Harbour Freight and spend $30 on an electric hack saw and just cut the bolt through. Should have done that right away, would have saved me a few hours sweating under the car.

Jeroen
Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks. I got the axle side nut off and am now working on the driver side. I am thinking of just taking the bracket off the frame instead of trying to get castle nut off. Do you know if it is just the two bolts inside the wheel-well or are there 2 more underneath?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM

There are 2 more underneath and I would sugest using a pickle fork to get the bolt out of the mounting bracket, its a real pain to get it out without one. You can pick one up at autozone for like $10.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Rent the pickle fork and pound it in there. If it is still still tap the axle side with a mallet and it will pop out. I wouldnt recommend removing the whole frame side cause with it in you have a fixed point to pry against.