Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Track bar and other front steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6
Default Track bar and other front steering

I've been reading a lot of threads about track bars, steering parts etc. How can I check for bad track bars? By loose or too much play? I get that. I find replacement parts such as replacement track bar bushings etc... I don't see much talk about replacing just the bushing? Is it that the end joints get too worn to be much useful life anymore?
And it masks the other issues or rather compensates with assisting steering. I get that too. After I finish the smog issue, I'm dealing with some steering issues.
I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee, 2WD, 4.0L with a lot of play in the steering wheel. Is that related to the steering gearbox underneath. I think I have play in it? Should be tight with NO play?
I'm not trying to make my Jeep a dynamite rock crawler but do want a decent driving vehicle. Later when the bucks flow in, I'd consider some of the other mods some posters have done. locking rear wheels, 4WD convert (That would be cool) etc... I love my Jeep but need to straighten out the steering. What causes should I look for to find the steering wheel play?
=============
Any comments with buying these parts thru AutoZone, OReilly's stores?

Last edited by jmrec100; 07-28-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Get someone to turn the wheel back and forth while you lay under the Jeep. Replace anything that has play in it, everything should be nice and tight.
If its just got a lot of play in it, and no death wobble, its probably not a suspension component (track bar, control arms, things like that). I'd check the steering box and shaft first, but you won't know for sure what it is until you get under there and start checking everything out.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

it is possible to replace just the bushing in the track bar, but given the the low cost savings compared to the headache of pressing the old bushing out and the new bushing in it's often easier to replace the entire track bar. to inspect the control arm bushings allow the suspension to hang and inspect the bushings for separation or heavy cracking. for tie rod ends. again allow the suspension to hang and shake the wheels back and forth this will help see any really bad tie rods ends. then shake the wheels up and down this will help detect any ball joints or wheel bearings. also using large channel locks to compress all the ends and ball joints to detect play is another neat trick. anything more than about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch or more should be replaced.