Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tps i think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default tps i think?

I have a 99 Cherokee 4.0 auto. I use this to deliver mail out of. It has started sputtering and will go dead at almost at every mailbox I stop at. Once dead all I have to do is.put in neutral and it cranks right back up. The check engine light is.on and it is saying the tps. I replaced it but it still is not fixed. I know you.can buy bad ones so I carried it back and got another one but still no help. Please help!

Thanks
Corey
Old 01-25-2012, 05:51 PM

Year: 1996

Fresh tuneup parts? Clean IAC? CPS?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM

All new tuneup, plugs, wires, cap, button, etc. I have done nothing with and iac. And not sure what you mean by cps, ha. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like it may be an IAC problem.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM

CPS is the crank position sensor. Just a possibility after ruling out other things. Definitely clean the IAC first.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Ok great thanks a lot. I will try that next. I did notice today when I was finishing up that it was really black and nasty inside the throttle body itself. What would you say is the best for cleaning all of this off. Again thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by cormay1230
Ok great thanks a lot. I will try that next. I did notice today when I was finishing up that it was really black and nasty inside the throttle body itself. What would you say is the best for cleaning all of this off. Again thanks for the help.
Remove the throttle body from the intake and bench clean if it's real bad. Use Mopar combustion chamber cleaner or a good quality throttle body cleaner, soft toothbrush, lots of rags. Get it clean like new. Everywhere. If your throttle body is that bad then your IAC probably is as well. Same thing there, get it totally clean but don't pull or twist on the pintle while you are cleaning it.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Ok I have cleaned the throttle body and the sensors that attach to it and used it today on the mail route. It do extremely. Better but still died twice and sputtered alot. Not as much.as before but still a good bit. So what now should I replace the idle air control or is there somewhere I should look next. Thanks again for any help.
corey
Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

any other codes showing up? I would suggest replacing the IAC and also the air charge temp sensor for good measure. its to the right of the throttle body and looks like the coolant temp sensor on thermostat housing.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Ok I have cleaned the throttle body and the sensors that attach to it and used it today on the mail route. It do extremely. Better but still died twice and sputtered alot. Not as much.as before but still a good bit. So what now should I replace the idle air control or is there somewhere I should look next. Thanks again for any help.
corey
Did you clean the IAC extremely well? If so, and you are still experiencing symptoms, you might need to get it hooked up to a good scan tool to see what's up. I would still suspect the CPS but there is no point in continuing to throw parts at it. A good scan will determine if it is fuel, spark, air, or sensor related.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

You really need to trust the OBD system here.

If it is still setting a code for the throttle position sensor circuit, the odds are extremely high that you have a problem with the throttle position sensor circuit!

The sensor is only one part of the circuit. Also involved is the wiring, connector, computer, etc.

Did you clean the connector for the TPS? Debris in the connector = resistance and that can be troublesome. I'd get a can of electrical contact cleaner (widely available anywhere) and a tube of dielectric grease. Thoroughly spray the connector, add a dab of dielectric grease and reconnect. Inspect wiring very closely as well.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
You really need to trust the OBD system here.

If it is still setting a code for the throttle position sensor circuit, the odds are extremely high that you have a problem with the throttle position sensor circuit!

The sensor is only one part of the circuit. Also involved is the wiring, connector, computer, etc.

Did you clean the connector for the TPS? Debris in the connector = resistance and that can be troublesome. I'd get a can of electrical contact cleaner (widely available anywhere) and a tube of dielectric grease. Thoroughly spray the connector, add a dab of dielectric grease and reconnect. Inspect wiring very closely as well.
Is the TPS code still present? If that is the case then yes, the above advice is definitely the way to go. I wasn't clear if the code was still present or not. Good advice to check the connector and wiring regardless.

If the code is gone, OBD isn't telling you anything, and symptoms are still present, proceed with a good scan to figure out what is going on.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

My CPS symptons were
-drive for 30 min.
-get hot
-die
-push it off the road
-let it cool for 20 min.
-re-start it
-drive home (or for 30 min. & repeat process-whichever comes first)
Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 PM

I did clean all sensors very well. There is also one more code showing up and it is the engine temp sensor on the thermostats housing but it is on because I uhooked it and replaced with a manual gauge. Because all it had was a light from the factory. I did this 3 years ago and have had no.problems since then until now. I looked in my garage and I do still have the one I removed so I may try putting it in to see if that helps. Ha.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 PM

I did clean all sensors very well. There is also one more code showing up and it is the engine temp sensor on the thermostats housing but it is on because I uhooked it and replaced with a manual gauge. Because all it had was a light from the factory. I did this 3 years ago and have had no.problems since then until now. I looked in my garage and I do still have the one I removed so I may try putting it in to see if that helps. Ha.
"One more code"... So is the TPS code still showing?

Quick Reply: tps i think?