Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tow Rating Q?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tow Rating Q?

Hey all,thanks in advance for any info/help. Was just wondering...does anyone know for sure what the factory tow rating is on a 1998 XJ 4x4 Sport with auto/4.0L,all mechanically stock as far as I know? Was thinking of camper sizes I could safely pull (I'm not above a good popup drug minor 'wheeling...)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

From what i have read online the xj can tow 5k.Just remember anything over 3k needs trailer brakes.And the trailer hitch you need a class 3 they are good up to 6k the class 2 is only good to 3500 lbs.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 AM

Thanks my friend Yeah,I'm well aware/versed in towing (besides having drove 18's long haul and short for 13+ years,with other trucks/vans I've had over the years too),but good reminders on the brakes and such too Had no idear what my XJ's rating was. I won't be looking for anything that will strain it,just something to extend weekend cycling or 4 wheeling trips (besides my tents I mean...I mean,they're nice tents,but they're tents,and get old after a couple nights )
Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If your going to tow a camper you will several things added to your jeep if it didn't come with a HD towing package from the factory. Some came with a lot of these options, get a build sheet you can get one in just a few min.'s usually from Mopar. They will tell everything that was installed on your XJ at the factory, but not dealer extras.

1. Engine
General cooling system overhaul and check-up from water pump, t-stat, cap, belt check
Large trans oil cooler, a engine oil cooler might be a thought about along with a steering cooler.
Complete engine tune-up
And NEVER/NEVER tow in Overdrive with a really trailer period, not good.

2.Brakes might be a good time to replace everything if you have not done so since you have owned the Jeep. As you do want them to be in VG shape if something should happen to the trailer brakes (God Forbid).
Now is the time to figure out the brand and type of brake controller you want and install it.

3 Hitch
A Class III is what you must have for that weight, check to see what you have. If you do not have one now check to see if you have the nut strips installed so one can be installed. If not you will just have to get a set of them, no biggie. Then check the trailer wiring to see it it is still stock or has been cut-up, if it has it still can be repaired. Some people are just to cheap to buy the proper connecter to plug into them.
The receiver that the trailer ball hooks to needs to be a load leveling type for the heaver trailers because of the tongue weight, with it you can distribute it on the trailer also.

Then double check everything you have done, and have a GREAT TRIP!!

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 06-02-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Singlespeed92
Hey all,thanks in advance for any info/help. Was just wondering...does anyone know for sure what the factory tow rating is on a 1998 XJ 4x4 Sport with auto/4.0L,all mechanically stock as far as I know? Was thinking of camper sizes I could safely pull (I'm not above a good popup drug minor 'wheeling...)
There's some info in this thread that is good and some info that is bad. The 4 components that give the XJ a 5K lb tow rating are: 4.0L motor, auto tranny, auxiliary tranny cooler and heavy duty cooling. If the XJ had factory air, it had heavy duty cooling from the factory. The 5k lb trailer MUST have brakes. Any of those items missing, reduces the tow rating. I've towed 1500 lbs on several occasions......u can definitely tell 1500 lbs is back there. The XJ is a very light duty tow vehicle at best......use caution.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

When I used the vin decoder it said 2.000 lbs.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
If your going to tow a camper you will several things added to your jeep if it didn't come with a HD towing package from the factory. Some came with a lot of these options, get a build sheet you can get one in just a few min.'s usually from Mopar. They will tell everything that was installed on your XJ at the factory, but not dealer extras.

1. Engine
General cooling system overhaul and check-up from water pump, t-stat, cap, belt check
Large trans oil cooler, a engine oil cooler might be a thought about along with a steering cooler.
Complete engine tune-up
And NEVER/NEVER tow in Overdrive with a really trailer period, not good.

2.Brakes might be a good time to replace everything if you have not done so since you have owned the Jeep. As you do want them to be in VG shape if something should happen to the trailer brakes (God Forbid).
Now is the time to figure out the brand and type of brake controller you want and install it.

3 Hitch
A Class III is what you must have for that weight, check to see what you have. If you do not have one now check to see if you have the nut strips installed so one can be installed. If not you will just have to get a set of them, no biggie. Then check the trailer wiring to see it it is still stock or has been cut-up, if it has it still can be repaired. Some people are just to cheap to buy the proper connecter to plug into them.
The receiver that the trailer ball hooks to needs to be a load leveling type for the heaver trailers because of the tongue weight, with it you can distribute it on the trailer also.

Then double check everything you have done, and have a GREAT TRIP!!
Thanks,always good advice there and some good info. In the few months I've had it,I have done most of all of that (I usually do for any new-old ride I buy that I actually intend to keep,this one I do so I did ),including the install of a Curt hitch,but it's a lesser (than Class III),so I'll upgrade that if I find/buy a camper. It has factory a/c and the sheet I found under the carpet says the HD towing package,so I should be good there. The type/size camper I'm talking will be very lightweight FWIW,I'm talking one of those small popups that weight >2000-2500lbs loaded,like the one in this CL ad if the link's good ( http://tricities.craigslist.org/rvs/4496438699.html ). Actually,I've texted the owner to go look at it,LOL,as that one has some nostalgic flavor for me (as my dad had one,same model and color),so I'm interested in it to refurbish.

Originally Posted by djb383
There's some info in this thread that is good and some info that is bad. The 4 components that give the XJ a 5K lb tow rating are: 4.0L motor, auto tranny, auxiliary tranny cooler and heavy duty cooling. If the XJ had factory air, it had heavy duty cooling from the factory. The 5k lb trailer MUST have brakes. Any of those items missing, reduces the tow rating. I've towed 1500 lbs on several occasions......u can definitely tell 1500 lbs is back there. The XJ is a very light duty tow vehicle at best......use caution.
It appears (from the paperwork under the carpet I found as well) that mine's equipped with all of that,so after a couple more things (a Class III hitch,and brakes-I was running the front brakes a few thousand more miles-safely mind you,the weren't too worn-and was going to replace all 4 corners at one time,rotors/drums and all,as I don't think they ever have been from the looks/performance of them,all of the other sprucing up mentioned above has been done).

Thanks a bunch,fellas,much appreciated

There won't be any "long trips",nothing cross country or 1,000 miles for eg. I'm thinking that because I run anywhere between 200-450 miles away from home base once per or every other month for a few days to mtn bike new places (though...that might expand a bit with popup in tow...but not by much),and the Wife will want to take some weekends in Gatlinburg (TN-about 1 1/2 hours away) if we buy one,and there's an OHV park 85 miles from here according to GPS mileage that I'm going to check out hopefully this week,I may buy a 365 day pass there and camp a few times per year too.....nothing (weight or distance) that should be a strain on it (I would never "push it" with hard driving either,LOL,as a cycling tourinst on ocasion too I'm not in a hurry )

If/when I buy something,I'll shoot a few pics and post up. Thank you each again

Last edited by Singlespeed92; 06-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99 cherokee 4.0 - 4 x 4..

I pull a 21 ft boat with no problem ( weighs bout 2800 lbs.... Even at the boat ramp , No Problem..
I drive slow with it tho.. The only thing I am not crazy about is the braking, Never
follow to close, Just leave yourself plenty of braking room and you will not have a problem...

Ant...
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks,just what I suspected,("no problems if taken slow") Yeah,LOL,trust me,after yanking trailers all over this continent for a living for over 13 years (2.9 million miles worth in that time),I know all about the dangers of following too closely/not leaving plenty of room (all of those miles were accident free on my part,but I've seen many a rear ending by others in my time on the road )
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Singlespeed92
.........It appears (from the paperwork under the carpet I found as well) that mine's equipped with all of that,so after a couple more things (a Class III hitch,and brakes-I was running the front brakes a few thousand more miles-safely mind you,the weren't too worn-and was going to replace all 4 corners at one time,rotors/drums and all,as I don't think they ever have been from the looks/performance of them,all of the other sprucing up mentioned above has been done).
Look to see if u have the auxiliary tranny cooler.....it's located in front of the a/c condenser, directly behind the grille. If it ain't there, u don't have the factory tow pkg. Don't guess at the trailer weight.....spend a couple of bucks and drag it across some public scales to have the loaded weight of the trailer confirmed/verified. Trailer brochures r notoriously low when giving weight info. Public scales r in the phone book. The trailer itself must have it's own brakes if towing at the 5K lb max.

Last edited by djb383; 06-02-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

All stock mechanically eh?

Everyone else has already covered ratings and specs, so aside from the cooling matters, my own points of concern are:

1. Brakes: Probably could use at least a refresher
2. Brakes: XJ systems suck in the first place. There are many upgrades available for bigger loads more safely.
3. Brakes: Above 2500 lbs with stock brakes it's a good idea to have a surge system at the least. Over 3500 electric is pretty much required.
4. Condition of rear springs. 16 year old leaf springs are going to be pretty tired and cause a good amount of sway. Unless you ride on the bump stops... Hah!

Remember that XJs are very light, only about 3200 lbs, and shorter wheelbase than a truck. Balancing the load for the proper tongue weight is a little more important.

Last edited by salad; 06-02-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

We're all clear that we r talking about the brakes on the trailer (as stated by Mr. salad)......not the brakes on the XJ, right?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
We're all clear that we r talking about the brakes on the trailer (as stated by Mr. salad)......not the brakes on the XJ, right?
Yup (and thanks to you too,Mr. Salad )
Old 06-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Brakes on everything lol.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While on the subject of the brakes.. My trailer doesnt have brakes, I Wish it did..
What are some upgrades I can do to the jeep brakes to make them better?
I think the brakes suck on me heep now..

Ant..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow Rating Q?