Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TJ Gauge cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default TJ Gauge cluster swap

Well, I noticed this done on another forum a few days ago, and decided to go for it. Figured it would be nice to change it up a little bit, as the XJ gauge cluster is pretty boring. Although the TJ cluster isn't much better, inseated of orange needles, they're white, and the extremes are red, instead of orange. Cost me all of $40, and here it is:

Name:  IMG_20110825_084724.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  56.5 KB

At night:

Name:  IMG_20110824_205136.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  20.5 KB

Overall it was a simple mod, but it took quite a bit longer then I expected. I swapped a gauge cluster in my WJ, and that was WAY easier. However, I do have one quick question. It seems when I turn my left turn signal on, sometimes it doesn't work, and it will buzz. Only the left one though. Any ideas? I figure tonight i'll take everything apart, and check the connections.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I've swapped clusters in other cars before (Nissans I used to have for white faced gauges etc) and I like this, but you lost your light for the hatch being open, as someone who has one that doesn't close well, I like having that, but I dig the orange needles.

As for the buzzing, had this happen in an old ranger that I owned. pulled out the signal actuator and blew it out with canned air and it fixed it. I've heard of disassembling it and sanding the points as well.

If that doesn't work, I have a spare one from a '99 or '00. PM me and I'll sell it to you for cheap.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Sentric
I've swapped clusters in other cars before (Nissans I used to have for white faced gauges etc) and I like this, but you lost your light for the hatch being open, as someone who has one that doesn't close well, I like having that, but I dig the orange needles.

As for the buzzing, had this happen in an old ranger that I owned. pulled out the signal actuator and blew it out with canned air and it fixed it. I've heard of disassembling it and sanding the points as well.

If that doesn't work, I have a spare one from a '99 or '00. PM me and I'll sell it to you for cheap.
Yea, that's one thing I thought about when I swaped it is losing the rear hatch open indicator. However, I figured it wasn't a big deal. I always make sure mine is closed all the way, plus the interior lights come on, if it's not.

I'll give that a shot, and let you know.