Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dashboard warning light test

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dashboard warning light test

I have a suspicion, that some of my dashboard warning lights are burnt out, but I am not 100% sure.
Are all the lights supposed to light up momentarily when the key is put into ignition or do only some light up? On mine, about half are not lighting up.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

lol none of my dash lights actually work. they light up with the key, but do nothing when a problem arises. Might as well not even be there
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

What years we talkin bout?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
lol none of my dash lights actually work. they light up with the key, but do nothing when a problem arises. Might as well not even be there
Lol, well, I'd like the important stuff to work like check engine, check gauges and such.

@Slick761: it's a 1992 limited i6 4.0 HO aut.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

ohh your check engine light dont work? thought you were just talking about the 4 dummy lights. none of my dummy lights actually do anything, the rest works
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

If you cycle your key.. can't remember how many times... you can tell for sure... but if other lights pop on then off when you turn the key on the bulb is probably gone... there's a list somewhere in here, think the tech write up area, that tells what all the bulbs are. If you have dummy gauges I think just oil temp abs if you have it and cel will light up.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Well, I can see what the bulbs are...sort of. If I use a flashlight at an angle to the console, then I can see that there is a bunch of red lights and some yellow ones.
When I turn the key I do see the oil warning light, seatbelt light, parking break light. They light up and then go off.
But a bunch of other lights don't come on. There is some service required light and an ABS light. They don't come on and I am not sure if they should before I start ripping of the dashboard to replace them. Maybe they are working?

And about dummy lights I am not sure, there are dummy lights? On mine all seem to have some icons or text on them (saw it using flashlight).
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Dummy lights are when you don't have actual gauges such as oil pressure and volts and temp..... just Googled it... I think battery and oil are the only ones that light up. For mine I really couldn't care less about those lights. I have gauges and I know when something is wrong with my jeep. I also periodically test my sensors to make sure they're functioning properly. But especially if you don't have gauges its good to know if it works. Try cycling your key 5 times and I believe the cel should flash.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Slick761
Dummy lights are when you don't have actual gauges such as oil pressure and volts and temp..... just Googled it... I think battery and oil are the only ones that light up. For mine I really couldn't care less about those lights. I have gauges and I know when something is wrong with my jeep. I also periodically test my sensors to make sure they're functioning properly. But especially if you don't have gauges its good to know if it works. Try cycling your key 5 times and I believe the cel should flash.
It will display codes on the CEL if you turn the key on off on off and leave it on
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Ok its on off on off on within 5 seconds. Should light up your cel... Catty isn't there always a test code... so if you do it and nothing is wrong it will still flash?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok its on off on off on within 5 seconds. Should light up your cel... Catty isn't there always a test code... so if you do it and nothing is wrong it will still flash?
I dunno...he could just pull a sensor connection under the hood to make it throw one...if his truck is like mine though, there's always SOMETHING wrong. Lol

Last edited by CattyXJ; 08-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CattyXJ

I dunno...he could just pull a sensor connection under the hood to make it throw one...if his truck is like mine though, there's always SOMETHING wrong. Lol
Hahahaha nice. Well he probably should go that route as I am insure on that year range but I do think there is a diagnostics ok code... op listen to catty... go ahead and unplug your tps on the throttle body and start it up. This should throw a code. If the light doesn't come on turn it off and turn key on off on off on within 5 seconds as stated above and it should flash. Good call catty!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks. I have went out and tried it. The CEL light does light up and I am glad that it is working properly.
Is there a way to trigger a ABS light or the service required light?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kusman
Thanks. I have went out and tried it. The CEL light does light up and I am glad that it is working properly.
Is there a way to trigger a ABS light or the service required light?
Abs will light up if it is bad. Also I believe it would throw a code. Google engine codes for your year. Did the cel only flash once? Also when abs goes bad you will usually know. It makes noise and stuff.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Abs will light up if it is bad. Also I believe it would throw a code. Google engine codes for your year. Did the cel only flash once?
Yeah if your CEL was flashing multiple times you might want to go back out, do it again and write the numbers down. It will flash X times, pause for 2 seconds, flash X times, and that's your fault code #. There will be like a five second pause between codes

Quick Reply: Dashboard warning light test