Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'Tis the season for A/C woes

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 'Tis the season for A/C woes

Help diagnosing would be great. "Eater" is a 1999 4.0L manual XJ

My A/C hasn't worked since I don't know when. Only had "Eater" in my possession for the last month and a half. Looks like the PO replaced the accumulator. This forum has been a ton of help and I did do a search function, but didn't want to hi-jack someone's thread.

I added some 134a to the system before I started. PSI stated something like 10 when I first hooked the hose up, once I filled it about half way the compressor did kick on. I then filled it to about 50 PSI according to the directions that came with the 134. That being said I had a couple of questions.

Question 1: Is the compressor supposed to stay on all the time or cycle when the AC is cranked? (Mine would turn on and turn off pretty regularly)

After I filled up the coolant, I ran the AC on high for a while and it never got colder then the ambient temp, granted it wasn't blowing hot hot air, but no cold either.

Question 2: Based on the above comment, would that denote that my evaporator needs to be replaced?

Any comments and help are greatly appreciated. I have always done all my own work on my vehicles, just never really messed with AC before. Sorry if it comes off newb-ish. Thanks for your time and have a great night/day.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM
I WIN!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: BIG! HUGE!

#1 my compressor shuts off and on as well, I think that normal.
#2 you may need what my mechanic says just the fluid, there is a way to just get the fluid in the system with out the pressure, Im sure someone else here may know what Im talking about, because Im just a girl amd dont have a clue.... Lol but I do know the system is under pressure blah blah, and prolly has full pressure blah blah but lacks the actual fluid to make it cold, atleast thats exactly what I heard when he explained it to me.... Lol so He did just that and tada, I have cold air again.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How much freon did you put in it?Some times too much can be just as bad as not enough.I would let a shop or someone that knows look at it for you.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

The question I have for you is since you said the PO had the unit apart to replace the accumulator. Do you know if it ever had a vacuum pulled on the unit after he reassembled it? If not, That could be one of you problems. Also when recharging the system you need to add compressor oil along with the R134. Like andrewmp6 said to much to much freon can be just as bad as not enough.
BTW, Some cycling is normal.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Sounds like you may have a clogged orifice tube. Read about it here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ori...ocation-80991/