Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tires skipping,dragging, noise from T-case or Transmission. XJ limited 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Tires skipping,dragging, noise from T-case or Transmission. XJ limited 4.0

Hello fellas, recently I've got myself a great banger a Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 1998 limited with Select track transmission * I believe I have 2H, 4H Part Time, 4H Full TIme, 4L*. Everything is great it is equipped with all the possible features and I got it pretty low, just 500 pounds and it's in a red color which is just better. It has 81k miles on the clock, stamped until 60k. On the day I've got it I checked the gearing, transfercase wise, switched between all of them no prob, but on 2H a whining sound appeared from the T-case, that is what I assumed then, which I guessed that might be a stretched chain in the T-case, because after switching back to 4H Full Time the noise disappeared. On that day I towed a Huinday Santa Fe 2005 with it 100 miles with a A-bar no prob, safe 50 miles/h. Then I had to let the Jeep rest for a month with no driving. Yesterday I've changed the engine oil, filter, air filter, differential oils and resealed, T-case oil and waiting on parts for the auto gear box filter. The oil in the T-case was clear, no metal shavings on the probe, the oils in the diffs was a lil thick, but OK, the diffs seemingly were in a grate shape no metal shavings on both *rear one had no magnet*. So I went on a drive and tested the gearing again, the problem appeared again, this time not only in 2H but continued after switching to 4H etc. The whine is harsh, *sound like a turbine but a lot louder* but no metal sounds, I can not describe it, it's not like anything I've heard, It's coming from the drive train T-case or gearbox, I can not tell. The other thing is that when the whining appears, and only then, when I try to make a full lock turn the vehicle starts to skips it's tires or drag them, bide on the pavement on either 2H or 4H, which is interesting. The whining continues even if the vehicle is moving but T-case is in Neutral and box is in Neutral as well, which is even more interesting. It's more prone and clear when the vehicle is at slow speed 10 m/ph or when I'm slowing down to that speed from 20 m/ph down to 0. No whine on revving either on Drive with brake applied, Neutral or Park. The more interesting part thou' is that if I shut off the car at 2H or 4H and let it sit for a while the whining disappears until I switch the gearing again. The other thing I''ve done is to check the T-case lever linkage and readjust, the linkage is not bend and in good condition. The oil in the gearbox is to the correct level as well. My skills are until here and I really want some advices or guesses on what the problem might be. Please more experienced mechanics then me, which are plenty in the forum, give me a hand or a tip that I can follow.
There is a stamp on the T-case with a model number 242.

Thank you for your time and patience.
All best, l000p !

Last edited by l000p; 03-31-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'm no expert, but I would guess that you're looking at a partial or full rebuild of that x-fer case. It sounds like it's not switching fully between modes or as you suggest, stretching of the chain.

​​​​​​​
Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Well, the noise dissappears after the vehicle is jacked 4 wheels up. Talked with an expert he said it could not be a stretched chain as if put in 4L a loud banging will appear which is not pressent. I was advised to take the front drive shaft and drive it in 2H only as there is really low stress to the T-case that way. Now I am in 2H and no noise so far.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Since you state it does it while coasting in neutral and not with wheels off the ground, I would consider checking the front axle pinion bearing.

Edit: I believe I would check the front diff in general. The whine may not be the transfer case or tranny. Harmonic transfer can be a deceptive phenomena to our ears.

Last edited by 4WD4EVER; 04-02-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

How was the front driveshaft? I have to 2nd the previous poster - check out your front axle and also the front driveshaft and make sure there's not a bad bearing or u-joint or something like that.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by l000p
...when the whining appears, and only then, when I try to make a full lock turn the vehicle starts to skips it's tires or drag them, (bind) on the pavement on either 2H or 4H, which is interesting...
I find this detail interesting as well. The symptom you describe here is a failure of the TC to disengage from 4WD when you shift into 2H while the noise is present. If you know you are shifting correctly, this seems to indicate an issue with the TC, not the front differential.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:07 AM

The U joints are fine one is brand new, bearings dont put out the same noise and seam fine too, driveshaft didnt had any play in it, the jeep guy advised me on checking it before taking it off, everything was well. There's no logic in it being the shaft, bearing or a U joint as it happens even in 2H sometimes. And when it happen it's only after gear changes from any of the T-case possitions to another one. It bides on the pavement like mad even in 2H. I am sure its something that is going to drive me crazy until I find whats the reason.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

You know, there's alot of info crammed into this post and deciphering it is challenging, but, if it's "biting" even when (presumably) in 2WD, that does sound like a failure to disengage after being in 4WD. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Keep us posted.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Again, it sounds like it's sticking in 4PT which you shouldn't use on tarmac. 4H isn't a mode on the 242, there's 4FT and 4PT. If you speak Landrover 4 FT (Full Time) is "open diff", where 4PT (Part Time) is "Difflock".

First thing to check: are all the tyres the same size and pressure? Any difference in rotation speed between the front and rear axles can keep the TC "Bound" so it won't shift out of 4PT and the front and rear axles will be forced to turn at the same speed causing tyre skipping and TC chain damage.

Try driving in a straight line, switching to 2 hi (lever fully forward) and letting off the power. Normally you'll hear a definite "clonk" as the TC drops out of Part Time and releases the axles to rotate independently.

If it doesn't unlock first time you can gently rock on/off the power to load/unload the TC while moving, but keep it in a straight line or you'll have the axles moving at different speeds as you turn.

Whereabouts are you in the UK? There's a very good Jeep garage in Elland, Yorkshire if that's nearby (and it's still worth going there even if it's a long drag).

Last edited by Morat; 04-02-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

It might be worth it to double check the linkage. Try disconnecting the linkage and setting the mode manually - it could be just like a hair off even though it appears visually to be in proper order.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:34 PM

All tires are same size and pressure.
You are correct there is no 4H it's just me trying to type faster.. Well engaging between any mode leads to the horible whine, the whine seams to get less apparent at higher speeds. I've tried what you said of switching to 2H letting off the power, revving up etc., but that doesn't help if the whine appears nothing helps, but getting the 4 wheels in the air starting the engine or it sometimes fixes its self just by the car sitting for a while. Does the XJ make any whine noise when in Part time 4x4 ? If so it sounds like my TC has problem with engaging between part time and other modes.
I am based in Birmingham.
Cheers yall. I'll keep you in touch, for now I'll stick to 2H no front shaft, as finding someone who does transfercase jobs here is pain in the butt, even more someone who does old american trucks ...
Surely if I go for a T-case rebuild it will be one DIY project, my friends garage is aways up for a challange!
If someone encountered the same problem, please let me know, it will be in help.

P.S: BTW where do you guys get parts for your Jeeps here in the UK... Tried Eurocar parts and ordering true them, Andrew Page, Car spares, very limited in parts.

Last edited by l000p; 04-02-2018 at 07:08 PM.