Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tire wear

Alright guys, Iv had some front end issues with my heep and figured I have enough info to make a new thread
First off: 1988 jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 4x4 np242 and aw4 trans 265k on the heep
It's had new: zj tie rod, drag link, ALL TRE's, hub assembly, wheels balanced, new adjustable track bar, and front diff fluid within the past 4k. It's got about 4.5" of lift with stationary lower controll arms.(I know that's not good but it's getting long arms soon hopefully) 31" MT's with steelies. I did an alignment myself after I put on all the new steering and then took it for a shop alighnment. They did an absolutely horrible job on the alighnment(diddnt tighten the adjusting sleeve and it diddnt even look aligned)
Here's the problem
Iv started having front end shaking(not really vibes but just shaking) at around 45-55mph
I then noticed the tire tread on the front two tires. In the middle of the tread the front of the lugs are higher than the rear of the lugs. It's like that all the way around. It's probably about 1 or 2 centimeters higher in the front of the tread lugs. And it's only in the middle of the tires(front two)
I need to double check toe in and toe out but from the eyeball it looks okay
The other think I can think of is the drivers side tire appears to be like this \ but not that severe of course. From what I know the ball joints are good(jacked up the axle and put a pry bar under the tire and lifted (no play ) so that brings me to my next thing. Is it possible my axle C's are bent? Of course it's possible but how likely?

Just kind of lost on this now and need some input, I'll grap pics tomorrow in the daylight,
Thanks for the help guys
-adam
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by 884x4
Alright guys, Iv had some front end issues with my heep and figured I have enough info to make a new thread
First off: 1988 jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 4x4 np242 and aw4 trans 265k on the heep
It's had new: zj tie rod, drag link, ALL TRE's, hub assembly, wheels balanced, new adjustable track bar, and front diff fluid within the past 4k. It's got about 4.5" of lift with stationary lower controll arms.(I know that's not good but it's getting long arms soon hopefully) 31" MT's with steelies. I did an alignment myself after I put on all the new steering and then took it for a shop alighnment. They did an absolutely horrible job on the alighnment(diddnt tighten the adjusting sleeve and it diddnt even look aligned)
Here's the problem
Iv started having front end shaking(not really vibes but just shaking) at around 45-55mph
I then noticed the tire tread on the front two tires. In the middle of the tread the front of the lugs are higher than the rear of the lugs. It's like that all the way around. It's probably about 1 or 2 centimeters higher in the front of the tread lugs. And it's only in the middle of the tires(front two)
I need to double check toe in and toe out but from the eyeball it looks okay
The other think I can think of is the drivers side tire appears to be like this \ but not that severe of course. From what I know the ball joints are good(jacked up the axle and put a pry bar under the tire and lifted (no play ) so that brings me to my next thing. Is it possible my axle C's are bent? Of course it's possible but how likely?

Just kind of lost on this now and need some input, I'll grap pics tomorrow in the daylight,
Thanks for the help guys
-adam
You Should have taken it back as soon as you noticed the problems with the alignment and made them re-do it.I don't know if you paid the extra to have the warranty or the lifetime alignment if so have the re do it anyways and before you wait to long make sure that it's done right this time. Also if the center of the tire s are wearing in the center of the tire check the air pressure, It sounds like that they have to much pressure.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
You Should have taken it back as soon as you noticed the problems with the alignment and made them re-do it.I don't know if you paid the extra to have the warranty or the lifetime alignment if so have the re do it anyways and before you wait to long make sure that it's done right this time. Also if the center of the tire s are wearing in the center of the tire check the air pressure, It sounds like that they have to much pressure.
What's weird is the tire on the drivers side that looks like this\ actually has lower tread on the inside (cause its leaning that way) but the middle has the weird cupping...my tire honsely feels like I have the hand of god and I'm dragging it over the rocky mountains. Pics will be a better explanation. And all tires are 33psi.
When the alignment was done they messed up the first time by aligning the tires with the pitman arm all the way like the wheel was locked left. So I brought it back and it pissed them off and did a horrible Job and left the adjusting sleevs loose. That's when I got really pissed and demanded my money back. I'll check the alignment tomorrow with a tape measure.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Are control arms for 4.5 lift ? Whats caster at lifted vechicles do not get stock vechicle settings . Also toe is best checked on rotors with any kind of off road tires and set at about 1/16 to 1/32 difference for larger tires . As for shaking have tires been rotated yet ?

Last edited by freegdr; 01-15-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

How are you shocks? cupping of the tires can also be caused by bad shock. I hope that you did get your money back. Morons like that give the honest mechanic a bad name.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Take a look....https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...w=1246&bih=652
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
Are control arms for 4.5 lift ? Whats caster at lifted vechicles do not get stock vechicle settings . Also toe is best checked on rotors with any kind of off road tires and set at about 1/16 to 1/32 difference for larger tires . As for shaking have tires been rotated yet ?
3-4.5" control arms. Thanks for the tips about the alighnment
How are you shocks? cupping of the tires can also be caused by bad shock. I hope that you did get your money back. Morons like that give the honest mechanic a bad name.
good shocks, no bouncing of the front end over bumps
Originally Posted by freegdr
The drivers side is a mix of camber and cup wear but that's weird because I replaced All tie rods and ends. The track bar and lowers. Also I think that side is camber wear because the drivers side tire looks like this\ compared to the passenger which looks like this l. I think that side might have a bent axle C. But after I alighn them better we will see what that side looks like.

Thanks for the help guys.
When I do the alighnment I will also switch the front right with the front left.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Alright guys, here's some pics before I switched the front two tires with each other

Attachment 227792
This is the inward side of the drivers(tire that leans in a bit)
And this is the outer

Attachment 227793

This side has much more tread.

Heres some pics of the cupping

Attachment 227794

Attachment 227795

Like I said I switched the front two tires, the slight wobble is gone and its almost smoothed out again. But the drivers side is eating away that inward part of the tire. I checked alignment and its pretty good. I know pretty good doesn't cut it but its not bad enough to cause the funny wear I don't think. I have no idea what's causing the cupping because the shocks are good...Idk what else it could be

Last edited by 884x4; 01-18-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 884x4
Alright guys, here's some pics before I switched the front two tires with each other

Attachment 227792
This is the inward side of the drivers(tire that leans in a bit)
And this is the outer

Attachment 227793

This side has much more tread.

Heres some pics of the cupping

Attachment 227794

Attachment 227795

Like I said I switched the front two tires, the slight wobble is gone and its almost smoothed out again. But the drivers side is eating away that inward part of the tire. I checked alignment and its pretty good. I know pretty good doesn't cut it but its not bad enough to cause the funny wear I don't think. I have no idea what's causing the cupping because the shocks are good...Idk what else it could be
The pics didn't work for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

The pics didn't work for me.
Let me try again
Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Tire wear-forumrunner_20140118_125621.jpg

Drivers side inward

Drivers side outward

Tire wear-forumrunner_20140118_125657.jpg

Cupping

Tire wear-forumrunner_20140118_125723.jpg
Look at the middle tread. It's higher on the left side than right side
Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Well I feel like my drivers side definately has a negative camber. And I think I'm toed out a little... So I'm gonna go ahead and pay the 150 for a lifetime firestone alignment..that way I can see exactly what isn't within spec.
When I got that crappy alignment last time they diddnt even give me a print off of the specifications so I diddnt know what was exactly wrong.
This way I can see if the axle is bent or if it just needs a good shop alignment..
Also, if the axle is bent I can swap the axle then get in aligned for "free" then when I go one ton steering I can get another "free" alignment..
I think this is the best option right now so I'm gonna get this in like a week
I fear my axle C is bent...we will see..
Thanks for the help so far guys ill post up a pic of the spec sheet when it gets done