Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tire Chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tire Chains

Since I am planning on playing in deep snow this winter (I hope !) I was looking up prices on a set of Tire Chains. I've always had the classic ladder style chains. Now I see Diamond Grip style chains. The chain pattern sounds like it would out perform the ladder style.

Anyone with experiences they would like to share before I go spend some money? Any particular brands? I saw "Grip 4x4" which seemed a little pricey, also "BikeBatts" at a much better price.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

snow tires > chains.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
snow tires > chains.
If you mean that Snow Tires are better than chains, I don't agree. But it is probably a personal preference thing… Es todo beuno!

I have had a few occasions (in my 4wd pickup) where I could not go any further and chains got me through.

There have also been tests on traction and breaking with chains versus snow tires. Here is one http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml_chainss.html

I would really like to have any input or hear of any experience people have had with different chain patterns. Ladder Vs Diamond.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

i wish we had snow here
Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by Stryder-Ryder
If you mean that Snow Tires are better than chains, I don't agree. But it is probably a personal preference thing… Es todo beuno!

I have had a few occasions (in my 4wd pickup) where I could not go any further and chains got me through.

There have also been tests on traction and breaking with chains versus snow tires. Here is one http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml_chainss.html

I would really like to have any input or hear of any experience people have had with different chain patterns. Ladder Vs Diamond.
for a jeep, snow tires > chains. there are a lot of factors to consider. what kind of truck was it? did you have ballast in the bed? what kind of tires were you running? what PSI? how deep was the snow? what kind of snow? on the road or off road?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

we get about as much snow here as anyone can handle, and we get through it no problem with no chains. i'm talkin snow up to your bumper, and then some.

as for chains, i use em on my shunt truck at work. that's only cause it's a single axle 2wd open diff. and the truck doesn't leave the yard.
i use sure-grip brand, if i remember correctly. they are a ladder type with diamond plate type grips welded across the links. they grip like a mother, but they also snap like one too. i go through about 6 sets per winter. and that's only in my yard.
they are very heavy. destroy tires and if not installed tight, they pull away from the tire when at speed and just fall off. if a link breaks, you have a 15 inch length of chain swinging around hitting your fenders. i repair mine with those small d-shackles when that happens.

there are street legal tire chains, well, actually they are made of rubber that help grip and don't destroy your tires or the road.

here, we're not even allowed to run studded tires on the roads. and i'm in canada. when i lived in oregon, there was some roads on the mountain that had signs that said chains were required, but i think that was just for transport trucks.

i say, just get some good snow/mud tires and use 4wd to get through it all.