Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Time to order my lift! Help? Pointers??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Talking Time to order my lift! Help? Pointers??

Hey everybody!

I bought this jeep in anticipation of selling my pickup to get some extra $$$ to dump into it, and, it just sold!

This is going to be the first time I've ever installed a lift (or owned something that had one, for that matter) so I'm not going to over-do it. I'm looking at 3" lifts so I can fit 31"s underneath it. I've been looking at RE lifts on this website http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merch...Code=REXJLifts. AND... http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/jeep_XJ.htm . Lots of options out there, just need some help sorting out which will work best for me!

Can anybody explain the differences between the lifts to me, or more specifically which one I really need? (i.e. with the rear leaf options). This jeep is going to be my daily driver so I want to make sure I do it right and keep the drivability.

Also, any advice on wheels/tires? I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with BFG All Terrains for now to keep cost bearable and drivability good. I'm not sure what to get in the way of wheels though. Definitely not looking for bling, just something that looks decent and will perform well. Any advice is much appreciated, I'm ready to get this thing going!

Cheers-

-00XJCO

--and it's a 2000 XJ, 4 door, 4.0, 4x4.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

how often are u gonna wheel it? where ya gonna wheel it? what terrain ya gonna wheel it on?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Going to be wheeling it at LEAST weekly (every time I get a chance!), tight, rocky colorado trails, not a whole lot of mud, it's usually dry here.

-00XJCO
Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Sounds like its going to be a regular trail rig and the 3.5 RE kit should work great.

As far as the rear goes, you may want to get the full leaf packs. I was torn between the RE lift and a few others and could have gotten a steal on it, but I've read that the RE provides more lift than advertised and I did not want to go any higher than 3"s (I hear the RE can give you as much as 4.5") Nothing against more lift, just personal preference for a daily driver.

If you want to wait a week or so, I am awaiting my Zone Offroad 3" kit. They are a newer company but affiliated with BDS suspension who is a very reputable brand. I will install and provide a basic review of how it rides/works.

While RE is a great company, there are some other alternatives out there that cost less and can work just as good. I ran a used Rusty's 4.5" kit for a year or so and loved it. Road nice and flexed like crazy. However their shipping is a little (lot) on the high side.

Less money on a lift means money left over for other stuff (bumpers, skids, rack, etc..)

As far as tires, BFG's are great. I've ran both the AT and MT. I liked the MT better and if you are planning for a weekly offroader than I would go the MT route. They still ride great on the road.