Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Throw Out Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Throw Out Bearing?

So the other day, my 1996 Jeep Cherokee sport, Manual with 192,000 miles on the Odo. (**Not knowing when was the last time the clutch was replaced, however the master and slave cylinder was done at 140,000**). It started to make this really loud squealing when I press the clutch lever, however, there is no squealing when driving at speeds.

Earlier during the winter months, I could hear it make slight audible sounds, but didn't think much of it. So I did some search online and found that the cause could be the throw out bearings.

I ordered the LUK clutch kit and flywheel and plan on having a mechanic replace it. Should I also order the "fork" and have it replaced as well?

If anyone has any insights, please inform me if I am missing anything to have the job done all at once. Thanks in advance.

Ray
Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I don't know if the kit you ordered comes with a pilot bushing if not you need to get one of those too. Also you need to check with the shop that you are going to have put the parts on and see if they will install the parts that you take them. A lot of shops won't install part that the customer takes in because of the warranty and liability issues.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

You said "Should I also order the "fork" and have it replaced as well?"

In a word, no. No need to replace the fork unless it's bent or has excessive wear at the pivot point. That said, if I was in your position, I would replace it.. depending on the price and the condition of the old one.
So... to sum up, I'd have to say... Maybe?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Yes, pilot bearing is included with the kit.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...lutch_kit.html

This was the kit I ordered from parts geek.com

I called this place and they are willing to do just the labor.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by kjc
You said "Should I also order the "fork" and have it replaced as well?"

In a word, no. No need to replace the fork unless it's bent or has excessive wear at the pivot point. That said, if I was in your position, I would replace it.. depending on the price and the condition of the old one.
So... to sum up, I'd have to say... Maybe?
Yea, I guess I'll wait for the repair shop to let me know if it will need to be replaced. I probably will end up having it replaced, bc its an inexpensive part anyways.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM

How long does these clutch usually last anyways? hopefully I wont have to do another one for while. $150 parts + $300 labor is alot of money!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Sx042
How long does these clutch usually last anyways? hopefully I wont have to do another one for while. $150 parts + $300 labor is alot of money!
That is a hard question to answer. There are a lot of thing to factor in. Such as driving habits, the quality of the parts and many more. But the biggest would be driving habits. The last vehicle that I had that had a clutch is my 65 Chevy P/U. When I was living in Calif. and was using it as my daily driver. I would drive it to and from work everyday in stop and go traffic going through L.A. I drove it in those conditions for over 6 years up until I moved to TX. and drove it all the way down here. I lived in TX. for almost 8 years now and I still have the same clutch. But it isn't my DD. I only drive it 1 or 2 times a month now. Anyways Like I said there are a lot of thing that will factor in on how long it will last.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If you don't ride the clutch or sit at stop lights with your foot on the clutch pedal it should last you a long time.