Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Throttle Valve cable keeps coming out of adjustment...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Post Throttle Valve cable keeps coming out of adjustment...I think?

98 4.0 sport 4x4 150k miles

When i bought it a while back, the transmission fluid was shot. Had about 100,000 miles on it roughly since the last change. I did drain and fills with dexmerc 3, now the fluid has been clean, but still had intermittent shifts (Sometimes smooth, sometimes harsh).

Then i took the advice of this forum, adjusted the throttle valve cable, and WOW, who put a new transmission when I wasnt looking??! So yea, it started shifting very nice, smooth, but not invisible shifting, just like i would assume it should be.

But then after a week or so of driving, the shifting doesnt seem as nice. I adjust it again, and voila, nice shifts again. This has been repeating since i first did the adjustment about 2 months ago.

1st, I am concerned that adjusting it too often is not good for the cable. Am i doing more harm than good by adjusting it repeatedly? or is it okay?

2nd, What could be causing it to come out of adjustment? (If it even is.. It could just be my head). But it doesn't LOOK out of adjustment, but it seems to be, since everytime i do it the shifting improves. I should mention that the shifting isnt horrible, it just shifts harder when its out of adjustment. Deffinitely not the way it should

Also, it seems that there is a minor leak on the transmission line where it goes into the little silver orfice thing. In both places. not enough to really affect the levels to much, but i check it everyday, and add as needed. It IS at the correct level at all times.

Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

No one?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If resetting the TV cable periodically fixes the shifting, it's coming out of adjustment somehow. If it weren't, nothing would change when you reset it.
I'd suspect the ratchet clip that holds the cable is slipping. Not sure how to fix it other than replacement.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"When i bought it a while back, the transmission fluid was shot."
Might want to budget for a new transmission, they don't last forever and neglect doesn't help anything.