Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Throttle Valve Cable .. Frayed cable = bad shifting .. replace ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Throttle Valve Cable .. Frayed cable = bad shifting .. replace ?

'93 base XJ, 4.0

highway shifting went awol last week .. 3rd- 4th gear at about 45-50 mph. then stuck in 4 until under 45 mph, with pedal floored .. not too cool on highway, zero passing power

found Throttle Valve Cable, broken strand in cable hanging it up .. where it enters the adjuster assy

temp fix .. lithium grease .. and worked the throttle until the "burr-strand" was pushed way below entrance

not sure what caused it to fray in 1st place .. easy to replace ?

what happens when it breaks? I dont wanna find out in person

Name:  cable2_zpsb65db7f6.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  179.6 KB

Name:  cable1_zps9b2c005d.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  169.9 KB
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The TPS is more responsible for shift points than that cable is.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Don't trash your tranny trien to "jamb" when it's slipping or being ugly. With a sweet little set of juler's size diagonal cutters, ("Dikes"/wire cutter's), I might cut off the loose strands until I got a replacement cable. Gotta get cut so the end's don't jamb.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-06-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
The TPS is more responsible for shift points than that cable is.
approx 2500 miles on a new TPS

actually thought that was defective, put original TPS back in .. same shifting pattern

then noticed fray. had about 1 inch of cable "stuck" .. end of cable sticking out from throttle lever area .. black assy, right side on photo .. temp fix is working for now

i searched that cable .. read: cable attaches within trans fluid pan

Ive been slowly swappng trans fluid to see how it reacts, was dirty (2 qts, then 3 qts).. just did a gallon swap, still seems ok / smooth .. maybe see what a shop will charge to fix cable, change screen .. full flush

Last edited by dogkatcher; 03-06-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

My 90 seems to up-shift fine through all 4 WITH allot of issues with my trans side of my TPS. It's ground in the TCU even seems dead, as well as the feed back to the TCU. So I adjusted the engine side of the TPS. (my 17% was .82). Having the cable with a finger nail, or a dime of clearance (to the nub on the end), seems to work for me.

Letting off/even evening off, or on decell, it's clearly confused whiteout the TPS, it seems. It seeks, and just act's wired. Till' I nail it down, just having a dime's with of play there on the cable is working

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-06-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: I deleted a renix comment
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by dogkatcher
approx 2500 miles on a new TPS

actually thought that was defective, put original TPS back in .. same shifting pattern

then noticed fray. had about 1 inch of cable "stuck" .. end of cable sticking out from throttle lever area .. black assy, right side on photo .. temp fix is working for now

i searched that cable .. read: cable attaches within trans fluid pan

Ive been slowly swappng trans fluid to see how it reacts, was dirty (2 qts, then 3 qts).. just did a gallon swap, still seems ok / smooth .. maybe see what a shop will charge to fix cable, change screen .. full flush
Don't flush it. Just replace the fluid that is lost when the pan is removed to replace the cable.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Ive been getting shop quotes .. since no garage .. I cant attempt it

AAMCO on phone said he may be able to splice in a "repair kit" super cheap .. doesnt look poosible, unless they open up a section of the cables sheath somewhere .. not sure about longevity of that either

anyone ever do that? splice a trans cable .. only thing I could see possible, would be to open up that cable sheath between valve cover & somewhere as it travels downward behind firewall .. then splice in a new upper length .. very weery on that

jeep specific repair shop .. quoted $250-350 0n phone, just for the cable .. 2 weeks already booked in their shop too

I called an ex-chrysler mechanic .. who has been running a home shop for a few years ... I met with him on my last jeep, knows alot ! quoted me $200 for cable replace, replace trans filter, new gasket, new fluid

filter definatly needs swap I think .. gallon of new trans fluid is already brown on dipstick .. kind of red, but got dark quick on barely any miles

I think $200 is a good deal .. just to nail it once & done .. home shop has less of a monster to feed - overhead $-wise .. & I dont make a mess or break something

Currently it is shifting like it should, even with old TPS .. getting that burr strand from hangin up did the trick .. dont wanna be up at 10k elevation on a mountain road, and have cable finally break .. so thats where Im at .. a $2k xj .. is gonna be $4750 soon .. Im diggin it so far though

Last edited by dogkatcher; 03-08-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by dogkatcher
Ive been getting shop quotes .. since no garage .. I cant attempt it

AAMCO on phone said he may be able to splice in a "repair kit" super cheap .. doesnt look poosible, unless they open up a section of the cables sheath somewhere .. not sure about longevity of that either

anyone ever do that? splice a trans cable .. only thing I could see possible, would be to open up that cable sheath between valve cover & somewhere as it travels downward behind firewall .. then splice in a new upper length .. very weery on that

jeep specific repair shop .. quoted $250-350 0n phone, just for the cable .. 2 weeks already booked in their shop too

I called an ex-chrysler mechanic .. who has been running a home shop for a few years ... I met with him on my last jeep, knows alot ! quoted me $200 for cable replace, replace trans filter, new gasket, new fluid

filter definatly needs swap I think .. gallon of new trans fluid is already brown on dipstick .. kind of red, but got dark quick on barely any miles

I think $200 is a good deal .. just to nail it once & done .. home shop has less of a monster to feed - overhead $-wise .. & I dont make a mess or break something

Currently it is shifting like it should, even with old TPS .. getting that burr strand from hangin up did the trick .. dont wanna be up at 10k elevation on a mountain road, and have cable finally break .. so thats where Im at .. a $2k xj .. is gonna be $4750 soon .. Im diggin it so far though
I just had to replace the whole cable cost 180. If you can get a better price just have them do it for you. It is an important piece to the puzzle IMO.