Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

throttle body sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body sensor

Hi,
Hey, anybody have any idea where to maybe get a throttle body around the Seattle area without it costing an arm and a leg.. I`m stumped here.
I think thats what been wrong with my jeep the last month but I really dont want to pay and arm and a leg and that not be it.
I`ve already tried changing the fuel pump, etc..
I`m new to these cherokees.
But now I am stumped Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Did you try the JY? Or look for parting out XJ's on craigslist.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

what is it doing? depending on what year it is you have two or three sensors on there idle air control (IAC), throttle position sensor (TPS) , and manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP). any of the three will throw a check enigine light that auto zone or similar auto parts store and scan and tell you which sensor it is. i have replaced both IAC and TPS they were about $50.00 a peice or $5.00 at a pick'n'pull
Old 04-29-2008, 06:00 PM

My sons 90 XJ will idle real low some times and then seem to go on a high idle kick. Do you think that it could be the IAC or the TPS. Some times it just up's and stalls at a light or when he slows down to go around a corner. Like I said it's a 90 with a 4.5" lift and a five speed.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:00 PM

It just starts and dies, starts and dies. Every once in a while it will keep running, but for the most part, just keeps dieing.
I miss driving the thing but right now I just cant trust it when it does run..
Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rainycity
It just starts and dies, starts and dies. Every once in a while it will keep running, but for the most part, just keeps dieing.
I miss driving the thing but right now I just cant trust it when it does run..
You might want to look into your CPS being faulty as well, that sounds like a common CPS issue.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Kyle
You might want to look into your CPS being faulty as well, that sounds like a common CPS issue.
Kyle you may be right and I may be way wrong but my experience with the CPS is it either works or it doesn't no stop and go stuff. With the bad ones I have seen at least. If it is bad then we have a no start with no pulses to the injectors and in the Renix era Jeep it also has no fire to the plugs. If it is good then it will allow a start and run condition.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Kyle you may be right and I may be way wrong but my experience with the CPS is it either works or it doesn't no stop and go stuff. With the bad ones I have seen at least. If it is bad then we have a no start with no pulses to the injectors and in the Renix era Jeep it also has no fire to the plugs. If it is good then it will allow a start and run condition.
Im just throwing out ideas, but for the record I have seen a bad CPS where the jeep works intermittently.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by Kyle
Im just throwing out ideas, but for the record I have seen a bad CPS where the jeep works intermittently.
Good piece of intel. Never seen one in twenty years that worked intermittenly. Always considered them like a switch either it worked or not.
Thanks Kyle!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Good piece of intel. Never seen one in twenty years that worked intermittenly. Always considered them like a switch either it worked or not.
Thanks Kyle!
That being said I have only seen one do that
Old 04-29-2008, 08:39 PM

Okay, so I change that part,,then what? Sorry bout sounding like an idiot here all, but man,,,, these 4.0`s seem like they are a little more compicated than most other engines.. I always thought I was a fairly decent mechanic but I think this cherokee is out to prove me wrong..
But no, I will NOT give up,, I love the thing..
Old 04-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Renix Super Guru

Change the CPS and plug the new one in and if that was the problem...problem solved. Simple. Changing the CPS.......anything but simple. Very hard to get to without a couple feet of extensions. Whatever you do.don't drop the bolts. Nuff said here.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:24 PM

On the drivers side inner fender there might be a white ceramic resistor. I had a cherokee that would start then die after running for anywhere between 5 and 15 seconds. It turned out that the little white ceramic resistor is for the fuel pump. To test it pull of both leads and short them together if it runs then you found the problem. I purchased one from Jeep for 5 dollars. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Okay, wish me luck here, I`m off to get a CPS and thanks Mike, I`m going to check and see if there is one of those little white ceramic resistors.
I actually took into a shop the other day and even the mech up there is a little stumped..*L*
But at least hes not making me tow it home,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YET,, *L*
Old 04-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Renix Super Guru

The resistor was for early model XJs. It was a voltage change to make the fuel pump last longer. It dropped the voltage a few volts once the Jeep was running. Didn't think yours was that old.

Quick Reply: throttle body sensor