Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Throttle body problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Throttle body problem

I know there are tons of forums on different problems but I haven't seen my answer yet. So a week ago my throttlebody was locked at about 4000 RPM I've been took it apart cleaned it up with dish soap and a toothbrush I took everything off cleaned all the valves the spring and everything now I'm having a problem where it will lock up at a bout 900 to 1000 RPMs at Idol and if I tap the gas it will drop back down to 750 rpm's now my question is what could be wrong now all the sensors are good and I have a brand-new engine with brand-new fuel injectors..the whole 9.
Any ideas on what could be?
Any help is helpful

I've thought about a new retainer spring but it looks like a un-serviceable part
The last thing I want to do is buy a new throttle body...
Old 02-25-2016, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If the throttle Position Sensor is defective or was improperly installed it may be causing your problem.

Can you feel it hang up without the engine running and operating the throttle lever by hand? If so, remove the TPS and see if it still does it.

If it seems to still hang up with the TPS removed, disconnect the cruise control cable and try it again, if still the same, remove the transmission TV cable.

You get the picture....
Old 02-25-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCKen
If the throttle Position Sensor is defective or was improperly installed it may be causing your problem.

Can you feel it hang up without the engine running and operating the throttle lever by hand? If so, remove the TPS and see if it still does it.

If it seems to still hang up with the TPS removed, disconnect the cruise control cable and try it again, if still the same, remove the transmission TV cable.

You get the picture....

What do you mean by "hang up"
The only thing that sounds like what you're talking about is when the jeep is off and I pull the throttle lever it has a double tap noise....I assume that's what you mean
Old 02-25-2016, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Reilly97xj
What do you mean by "hang up"
The only thing that sounds like what you're talking about is when the jeep is off and I pull the throttle lever it has a double tap noise....I assume that's what you mean

"Hang up" is the same as your "Lock up". Double tap (bounce) is normal.