Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Thinking about pulling the head off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Cool Thinking about pulling the head off...

So I've been watching a leak on the outside of the motor and it's getting worse... Here's the thread: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/odd...t-make-148270/
It's coming from the head gasket
Luckily the motor oil and antifreeze are in good shape so I'm not worried about the internals... yet and she's running great. I'll like to nip this in the butt before it becomes a serious problem.

Aside from the obvious needed items, like gaskets and such.
What else should I consider replacing while I'm in this deep?
I know I need an exhaust manifold- it's got the usual cracks. Suggestions on which?
My cooling system is nearly all new- I'll happily reuse.
Any way to better the intake manifold?
ARP bolts? maybe a kit of sorts?
with the head off, can I get to the lifters? (some of then tick) If I change them will it cause another problem like faster wearing on the cam or other related parts because they will be new/stiffer?
Should I have the head checked while off for cracks or damage and get it cleaned- performance (3 angle) valve job too?
I'm not looking to rebuild the motor, just do what's needed and maybe do some preventative maintenance while in this deep. Keeping the costs down is important.

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Head bolts can be re-used 1 time. If you're unsure then swap in a new set. Fel-Pro head gasket kits are available with new bolts.

ARP makes a quality product but you're not building a hi-compression motor or a racing engine, so consider the benefits vs. cost.

You've already got the best intake manifold, but a little port matching will help with the fuel/air flow into the combustion chamber.

A ceramic coated header will go a long way towards reducing under hood temps. They are more costly so once again you need to weigh the cost vs. return. FWIW, I really wish I'd opted for the coated headers when I did my motor swap.

Make damn sure you get the lifters back in the exact same hole they came out of. Dis-assembling the lifters is time consuming but not complicated. Tear 'em down and give them a through cleaning. Afterwards, put them in a container full of oil and use a pushrod to pump them up. NEVER install an empty lifter into a motor.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Honestly I have no clue if this motor was ever opened, While I don't think so I'd rather play it safe and not take chances with new bolts