Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

thinking about buying 1998 cherokee sport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default thinking about buying 1998 cherokee sport?

Im looking at a 1998 cherokee sport its the 4.0l and has the auto tranny, It has some upgrades such as 6 in lift, rock sliders, winch, 33in bf tires. This would be my first cherokee is there anything I should know about this year problems ect.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

i would drive it for a lil while to see if theres anything wrong,because thats a big lift for a xj,and big lifts can cause big problems,just ask as many questions as u can
Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I love mine, but have an issue with the precat ("A" pipe) )2 sensor circuit. Been causing the check engine light to stay lit.

Also rear leaf springs are too soft, but I'm doing the Isuzu rodeo bastard pack.

Also the driver's seat was designed with a piece of tubing welded across the lower back of the frame. These tack welds all broke, & need to be re-welded.

Many pluses though. Top of that list would be the awesome acceleration rate of the 4.0L while the AW4 auto trans is in passing/downshift mode.

I love my 98 XJ so much, that I'll fix anything it needs. I'll have it for many years, as long as nobody wrecks it.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'd definitely give it a good test drive and pull over somewhere and get underneath. A lift that big can cause a lot of problems if not done properly. But if it was done well and it's well taken care of you will have a new obsession once you buy it. "hmmm birthday present for the g/f or some sweet ARB diff covers" Explains why I am single...
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Has it been wheeled or is it just lifted for the look and at that height is it a long or short arm. Long arm will ride a lot better. If it's been wheeled be aware you may be buying someone's toy that they outgrew or got tired of fixing.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 AM

Thanks for everyones input so far. I went by to look at it and the owner was not there so i was not able to ask any questions but it looked liked to me it has been wheeled and it is short arm is that a problem? I'm going to meet with the owner this week to drive and look it over better, what are some things i should really be looking for? Is there some things i can look for that are sure signs for abuse or wear and tear? He is asking 3300 it does have a few upgrades such as a warn wench and bumper but it does not have a sye or high steer which makes me think it has not been wheeled too hard. I don't want to end up buying it and found out that it has a bunch of problems. It also makes me wonder if I would be better off finding one that has no upgrades and starting from stock, I have build a few rigs before but have no experience with jeeps so any input is helpful.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I'd look for the t-case drop... If he put in a 6 inch lift with no drop kit it might have u-joint/drive shaft issues. Also, drive it a few times to check for vibrations... If they're already there, it might be permanent.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM

I've got a 98 Sport as well. Bought it about 4-5 months ago. No mods at all. My first Jeep, so I'm not experienced with Jeeps as such, but I've owned lots of (second hand) cars. Can't say much about the mods

I took it for a long test drive. Make sure it drives and brakes straight, no rattles. Take it up to at least 70 MPH. Take it on a country road and see it that shakes anythign loose. Engage the four wheel drive. Check the handbrake.

I had my wife meet me with my tools and I spend at least an an hour inspecting:
- Check everything as much as you can for any undue play, i.e. suspension, steering etc.
- Check brakes
- Spend a lot of time underneath a car looking for rust.
- Check every switch that it works fully, including windows, air conditioning

I write down everything I find, make a list because it'll help negotiate and it'll help make up your mind if it's worth the bother or not.

So far Iv'e been very pleased with my Jeep:
On my list after the test drive were:
- Airconditioning not working
- Remote key not working
- No rear window wiper arm /wiper
- Rear door wouldn't open
- Damage to one of the wings
- Shocks need replacing
- Most bushings on the suspension/stabilizer/sway bar need replacing

I negotiated the price, based on the above and bought the Jeep. The dealer fixed the airconditioner, and the damage. I fixed the rest.

Once I got home I also replaced the sparks, rotor, distributor cap, wires. I also discovered the radiator leaked. So I replaced that too. And I changed all oil / filter

I've had an electrical fault since then on the left indicator, which was actually a broken wire. Bugger to find.

i've done several other little jobs on it, but so far it has proven to be very reliable and enjoy it thoroughly.

Jeroen
Old 09-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Just talked to the owner on the phone he said its a rusty short arm lift kit anyone have any experience with this brand lift?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

rustys is good but just because he says its rustys dont really believe him i have seen xj's advertised as having a certain lift but if you check everything out its a hack job if it has big coil spacers and blocks or big shackles walk because thats cheap...look for stress cracks and stuff would indicate beaten on offroad...rust is a big thing with these check first so no suprises later...take pics and post on here of questionable things and we will point you straight
Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Ok I'm going to look at it tomorrow at 5 ill bring my camera and upload the photos tomorrow night thanks for the help
Old 09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Has it been wheeled or is it just lifted for the look and at that height is it a long or short arm. Long arm will ride a lot better. If it's been wheeled be aware you may be buying someone's toy that they outgrew or got tired of fixing.
The last sentence for the win.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 PM

here is some pics of it
Attached Images      
Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 PM

more
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: thinking about buying 1998 cherokee sport?