Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Unhappy Thank you.

So, I know I'm new, and I'll keep this brief. I want to thank everyone who has already asked and answered the countless "over-heating" question! My hubby is ready to take our jeep out into a field and literally blow it up.

This is our second Cherokee (the first threw a rod through the block many moons ago...and it used to put itself in 4wd while going down the road, so I was leary of getting another)

We were told about a month ago when we bought the thing that it had a new radiator and ran great....WRONG....After about a week, it started overheating, and well...needless to say, we have been dumping money into it ever since!

Replaced the thermostat (cheap fix first, right?)...well then we found a big 'ol hole in the supposed new radiator (which we now discovered was full of some kind of stop leak junk)...so I ordered a new one of those...and the next day...we had a blown head gasket....cracked head...and a lot of arguing at home..

So, new head (new from the junkyard, but it was pressure tested and machined at a shop), new head gasket & water pump, flushed the whole thing...and the Jeep was back up and running...FOR 2 whole DAYS!

Now it is over heating again!!! Had it towed home today...didn't want to mess anything else up. BUT, on a good note, I found this forum...and well as many answers as I have questions...so here's to trying something new tomorrow.

So, I apologize for the ranting, but that brings me back to my thanks to all of you who have gone before us in the fight to cure Cherokee Over Heating.

(shhhh....I want the Cherokee fixed, 'cause it will be ALL MINE once he gets his CJ7 from his parents)

Thanks again for reading!
XJWife
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

one thing, when you flushed the system did you clear out the heater matrix as well??? i had a load of problems because of a bloked one years ago.
j
Old 04-23-2009, 05:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

We call it a heater core. and if he used stop leak then that is prolly everywhere. Did you replace all the hoses also.

I am sorry you have had a few lemons. The XJ is a nice truck a lot better than a CJ wait till he has to buy parts for it he he.

Did yall change out the water pump. It could have been the problem all along. Easy swap... prolly corroded with stop leak or missing a few fins off the pump.

This XJ will be good to you with a lil love keep your head up and get her running.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

and another thing, your cooling fans are working arnt they, stupid question but often overlooked.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

This might or might not be helpful. Interesting anyway. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_cooling.html
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM

I don't think we have checked the heater core...but I will get on that today...it makes sense that stupid stop leak crap would be everywhere.

We did replace the water pump...it's our opinion that if you're in there tear things apart, and you have access to the water pump anyway, unless you know how old it is, that you should just replace it. Saves you the time of tearin' things apart again.

We think that fan is working, but that was on our to do list for today.

And thank you all again for your input. I really like this Jeep, it is so much better than the one we had before...so, I hope we can get it figured out.

And as far as that CJ, it's pretty nice too, but it's all him!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

welcome to the forum, hope u get the cooling worked out.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks! I have really enjoyed similiar Toyota forums in the past...so when I found this one, I was pretty happy.