Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Test Drove Cherokee, Rear grinding noise, Buy or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Test Drove Cherokee, Rear grinding noise, Buy or Not?

So I'm in the market for another jeep cherokee, my 2000 got totaled a few months after an engine swap (not my fault).

Being weary of the head cracks/oil pressure issues I'm being very cautious with what I see and hear when looking at new prospects.

Checked a 2001 out today with 83,000 miles from a private owner that's asking $4500. All maintenance records are available and overall in pretty good shape.

The only thing that threw me was a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. You know the type of sound when your brakes are worn down metal to metal? Not the squeaking sound but that low steady grinding type sound. Well that's what I was hearing but it was the whole time regardless whether I was breaking or not. My wife said she could hear it also when I pulled up returning from the test drive. So does anyone know what this may be? bad drum brakes? Something with the rear axel or drive shaft? It almost sounded like I was dragging something under the car or something but it wasn't too loud. Like the brakes ceased up and were worn out. It it's nothing serious I'll probably just talk the price down a little and get it fixed myself. all in all it drove well. What do you guys think. Best case, worst case?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Year: 89
Engine: Inline 6

If the brakes work good then it probably isnt whats making the grinding noise could have something inside the drum, most likely its in the diff
Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I have seen this before on 98 and 99 Cherokees. I am not saying this is definitely the problem but could be. Inside your drum is a metal cable, some call it the self adjuster cable. Sometimes it breaks and the metal end gets caught between the pad and the drum. Did the brakes grab and bind up in the rear?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Could be something simple like a small rock between the shoes and drum or more serious like the rear end gears going out.

Seeing as how it has low miles, talk him down about $1000 and fix it yourself. Worst case is a replacement axle from a junkyard if the whole axle is beyond repair.

Disclaimer: do fix it right away if you buy it, yours and others lives would be at stake.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Could just be a wheel bearing. Cheap and easy fix if you're into DIY jobs. Just bought my 98 XJ knowingly with a bad wheel bearing and poor shocks. All cheap and easy to do if you've got the tools for the job.

Last edited by KJamesJR; 02-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Originally Posted by Flowpro
Could be something simple like a small rock between the shoes and drum or more serious like the rear end gears going out.

Seeing as how it has low miles, talk him down about $1000 and fix it yourself. Worst case is a replacement axle from a junkyard if the whole axle is beyond repair.

Disclaimer: do fix it right away if you buy it, yours and others lives would be at stake.
Great disclaimer!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info guys. One thing I did notice with the brakes is that they seemed hard to push down. Previous jeeps I've had it was more like I'd have to push them down almost half way before they started to bite. In this jeep the pedal was very stiff and it didn't seem to bite all that soon considering how stiff the pedal was.