Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Temperature gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Temperature gauge not working

I have a 1996 cherokee 4.0L straight 6. My temp gauge stopped working around the beginning of winter when I had my radiator replaced. I found towards the back of the engine on the drivers side the wires that plug into where it sends the temp to the actual gauge, and that is working fine.

So what id like to know is what I should go about replacing now....the actual thermostat or the other piece (cant think of the name right now) that plugs into the sending unit Wires. Thanks. pics would also help a lot if possible.thanks again
Old 04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

The bottom part that threads into the block. Buy the mopar sender. The aftermarket ones nut size is to big and a socket hits the side of the valve cover. Factory 13mm. Aftermarket 9/16 or 15mm.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:13 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6l

Originally Posted by kahli174
I have a 1996 cherokee 4.0L straight 6. My temp gauge stopped working around the beginning of winter when I had my radiator replaced. I found towards the back of the engine on the drivers side the wires that plug into where it sends the temp to the actual gauge, and that is working fine.

So what id like to know is what I should go about replacing now....the actual thermostat or the other piece (cant think of the name right now) that plugs into the sending unit Wires. Thanks. pics would also help a lot if possible.thanks again
I have a 96 country, head cast number 0360 I think. There is no place to plug mine in.
Attached Thumbnails Temperature gauge not working-2015-04-30-19.32.44.jpg   Temperature gauge not working-2015-04-30-21.23.44.jpg  
Old 05-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

1996 is a bastard year but most should have two sensors. ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor is threaded into thermostat housing.
Sensor for dash gauge should be at rear corner of engine net to valve cover. If not there, I do not know why.
this linked thread has a picture of sender; https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/tem...93/#post537662
Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Some 96 have the sender on the right back side of the head and some don't. The others use the temp for the gauge from the temperature sensor that threads into the tstat housing.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default What to do

[QUOTE=MonacaYankee;3083503]Some 96 have the sender on the right back side of the head and some don't. The others use the temp for the gauge from the temperature sensor that threads into the tstat housing.[/QUOTE

How can this be done? I have a 1994 jeep Cherokee Sport and recently have had to swap out to a 99 Cherokee 4.0 V6. The original motor was in it prior to that. The gentleman that did the work took and drilled a hole in the water Outlet housing and mounted a small nut to screw the temp gauge sensor into it. It doesn't work. So what is my option to make it function? Please reply
​​​​​​
Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

The outlet relocation seems to be the favored way to handle this. Especially because if you mess it up, replacing the outlet is cheap and easy while the block is not so much...

What doesn't work, specifically? The gauge itself in the vehicle or the mounting?

You can test the sending unit by removing it, plugging it in and (with the key set to "ON") holding a lighter to the sensing end - it should show the temp rising on the gauge - if that doesn't work, you have a bad sending unit or a problem with the wiring.

In your case, my first suspect would be the wiring - in order to relocate the sensor, the wires probably were extended and if done poorly, may have come apart. Check that first then test the sending unit.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul Story
Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
Some 96 have the sender on the right back side of the head and some don't. The others use the temp for the gauge from the temperature sensor that threads into the tstat housing.
How can this be done? I have a 1994 jeep Cherokee Sport and recently have had to swap out to a 99 Cherokee 4.0 V6. The original motor was in it prior to that. The gentleman that did the work took and drilled a hole in the water Outlet housing and mounted a small nut to screw the temp gauge sensor into it. It doesn't work. So what is my option to make it function? Please reply
​​​​​​

Either the sender is bad or you have a short in the connection to the old wiring from the relocated temp sender.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:17 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Temp sending unit continues

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
Looks good. What parts and measurements on those parts are in the picture to make that happen? I know that the thread diameter on the the coolant temp sensor is 3/8 and the temp sending unit is 1/8 so I know that the t is a 3/8 T and that it is a male on each end and then you need a coupler for the 3/8 coolant temp sensor but is there a coupler that will do a 3/8 to 1/8 for the temp sending unit? If so can you send me the exact names and dimensions of the parts that you used if I'm incorrect.