Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tanny Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanny Help!

1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Auto Trans 4x4

Driving to work this morning on the freeway and my jeep starts slipping in and out of gear, it would rev up and then catch gear again over and over, I was able to limp it off the freeway and into a gas station and walked to work from there, but anyways, after I stopped the vehicle won't engage into gear, the shift linkage is all in place, changed the filter and transmission fluid a month or two ago fluid is at good level, I did just put this transmission in less than a year ago, I'm pretty sure it's not in limp mode or whatever. drive, reverse, etc won't engage.. I'm just curious what would cause this to randomly happen??? Thanks for any responses!!

Also I hear a slight ticking noise near the flexplate/ torque converter area, not sure if my TC can just randomly go out like that? Or if there is a way to test is

Sorry I posted this the Cherokee chat too.. Meant to post it here
Old 06-26-2016, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Well, Reverse doesn't rely on the electronics so I'd guess you have a hydraulic failure.
Torque converter or front pump would be my first guesses, provided the fluid is in good shape and at the right level.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Here's a cold ATF check you can do. It occasionally shows a bad TC or trans pump.

If the fluid level does not drop, as described, there's a chance that the TC or pump is bad. If there is noise from the TC area it may be the TC.

Name:  jpgColdFluidLevelCheck.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  79.8 KB
Old 06-26-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Here's a cold ATF check you can do. It occasionally shows a bad TC or trans pump. If the fluid level does not drop, as described, there's a chance that the TC or pump is bad. If there is noise from the TC area it may be the TC. .
so I did this test and checked it before I started it today and the fluid level was a a little above full. Started it in nuetral and checked it again and it was at the exact same spot.. But now I'm not hearing and noise around the torque converter..
Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JustEmptyEveryPocket1998
so I did this test and checked it before I started it today and the fluid level was a a little above full. Started it in nuetral and checked it again and it was at the exact same spot.. But now I'm not hearing and noise around the torque converter..

No noise in neutral? Is the noise there in drive? Don't know if it makes a difference but the fluid level not dropping is not a good sign.

Radi called it.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
No noise in neutral? Is the noise there in drive? Don't know if it makes a difference but the fluid level not dropping is not a good sign. Radi called it.
correct, I'm not hearing any noises in park, neutral, drive, or reverse, idle stays the exact same.. It will seem as if drive and reverse are neutral, the tranny won't engage at all. I just want to be sure what it is before I go and start dropping and tearing into the transmission
Old 06-27-2016, 02:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You could put a pressure gauge on the test port and see if the pump is working.

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2016, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

^^^^

I think this would be a giant PITA. It takes a special adaptor to fit the test port.

Here's the test port location (and plug dims).

Name:  Pressure%20Test%20Port%20Plug.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  68.2 KB